abroad clinical internship?

ihope

Oct 13, 2009
    I have clinical internship abroad for 3 months. I rotated in internal medicine, surgery, OB/GYN, ped. Does it count for clinical exposure? Do I have to have shadowing experience in the state too? By the way, I have clincial volunteering experience in the state.

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Aug 24, 2008
    1. Pre-Medical
      I have clinical internship abroad for 3 months. I rotated in internal medicine, surgery, OB/GYN, ped. Does it count for clinical exposure? Do I have to have shadowing experience in the state too? By the way, I have clincial volunteering experience in the state.

As long as you can "smell" patients, it is clinical experience..... Doesn't matter if you are in the US or Antartica.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
      Mar 24, 2009
        Abroad clinical experience has value, but should not stand alone. I hope you have a decent amount of US-based clinical experience as well. From my observations, about a year and a half overall seems average.

I think that shadowing a physician outside the US is not sufficiently helpful. Adcomms want to see that you have witnessed the realities of medicine as practiced in the US (or at least North America): paperwork, insurance issues, OSHA, confidentiallity requirements, sterile precautions, SOAP notes, evidence-based medicine, applying technology as a diagnostic aid, malpractice concerns, etc. There are a lot of peripheral issues that are not universally applicable in medicine.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
        Lifetime Donor
        15+ Year Member
      • Aug 1, 2005
        working on my tan......
        1. Attending Physician
          I have clinical internship abroad for 3 months. I rotated in internal medicine, surgery, OB/GYN, ped.

Does it count for clinical exposure?
          yes

Do I have to have shadowing experience in the state too?
          yesl preferably around 60-80hrs over a couple of fields.

By the way, I have clincial volunteering experience in the state.
          great, how much and what type, how long

See inside bolded...

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.