Abroad summer Healthcare programs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Desistar2008, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Desistar2008

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know of any summer healthcare programs abroad, where I could get more clinical skills, work with underprivileged ill people like in India or South America. I know there are some online but those are really expensive $$$1200+, not including airfare. Does anyone know of some that are possibly free or a lot less expensive that I could consider seeing how this is volunteer work.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Until you have certified medical skills, you don't have much to offer as an international clinical volunteer. You need to be instructed, monitored, translated, fed, housed, transported and secured. If you don't pay for this support, then the international organization has to pay for your presence and unskilled labor, instead of offering its support to the local population. Basically you're taking a job away from a local at 10x what a local costs.

If you pay for international clinic experience, you're effectively paying wages to the international organization and its in-country operatives (who may not be locals) to give you the experience. I've done this a couple of times in Central America, and I found it very enjoyable and educational. And expensive.

If you can't raise some money, then I suggest you look into opportunities in Guatemala. Supposedly you can just arrive at Xela and expect to be put to work, if you're independent and confident and speak some Spanish. Language schools and NGOs offer organization and homestays on top of this for $100-$200/week. You may or may not be allowed to do health care, but you can do educational, environmental and agricultural volunteer work.

Best of luck to you.

4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  5. lily09

lily09 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I highly recommend Global Volunteer Network. I went on a volunteer trip with them recently and had a great experience. I worked at an HIV clinic and lived with a local family. There is a program fee but it seems reasonable compared to other programs. Here is the site: http://volunteer.org.nz/

good luck!

6. Aggie07grl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  7. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I did ISL in Tanzania, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. If anyone want more info on them, PM. They are $1000+ programs before airfare, though. They give you fund raising letters that you can use to get tax deductible donations to help w/ the costs.

If you want clinical experience you might be better off just shadowing a bunch of Dr.s in the US, since that's pretty much most of what you're going to do abroad anyway.

8. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Sounds like something I'd fly halfway around the world for. :rolleyes: