Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

ABSITE Killer??

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by bongiorno, Dec 10, 2008.

1. bongiorno

Does anyone know where I could possibly get a copy of the ABSITE Killer book? I am dating a general surgery intern and he is worried about the ABSITE, especially because he has a really hard rotation in January and won't have much time for last minute review. I have read that the Killer book is good for quick studying, so I wanted to try to find it for him for Christmas. He already has the blue ABSITE Review book and the Physiologic Basis of Surgery (or something like that) textbook.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BlondeDocteur

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My condolences.

4. bongiorno

:laugh: Don't say things like that too often to us poor significant others, I try to be positive about it! It really has not been QUITE as bad as either of us were expecting (we had been dating for a year before residency) although the work hours are killer. But he's still alive, which, quite frankly, is somewhat of a surprise. There are days (months) I honestly think they are trying to kill him.

Anyone got a lead on the book? I saw the PDA version but wasn't sure if it was legit.

5. The PDA version is legit, if it's the one that's easily found via Google.

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does anyone know if the copyright has expired on this book?

If so, I might be able to dig up a copy of it (although it might be annotated) and could scan and post here as a PDF since it gets asked about every year.

7. Good question...no idea.

8. XoQo

XoQo PGY1 Retractor
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    not that i wouldn't appreciate a copy of that book, i'm kinda doubtful that the copyright has expired though:

http://library.dts.edu/Pages/RM/Helps/copyright.shtml

from this site basically...

before 1923 = no longer protected by copyright
    1923-1963 = protected if status was renewed
    1964-1977 = protected. Protected 28+67=95 years from initial copyright date due to law
    1978 = Still protected by copyright law. period of protection is complex. Generally though, ends 70 year after death of author

9. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks.

10. bongiorno

Ok, after doing a little more research on these forums I found this from a thread last year:

http://www.hs.columbia.edu/dept/cs/residency/intranet/ABSITEKiller.html

Can anyone who has used this elusive book tell me if this is the same material? (Not sure about copyright laws but since I didn't post it on that Columbia site I can't be sued or anything for posting it here can I?)

11. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    That's it...and no, you can't get in trouble for posting something that is open to the public. Presumably Columbia would have investigated this before allowing it on their site.

12. bongiorno

Great, thank you for the help. I know what I'm giving him for Christmas :laugh: