absite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boston

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Does anyone know the format of the absite? # of q's, sections, length of time?

Also, has anyone tried absite.org and can comment on the quality of their material for preparing for the absite? (Just thought i'd see if anyone thought it was good or bad before I fork over $35.)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I tried it and found it just ok.they have a bank of only 105 qs which is not changed at all and u start with the same qs every time.also some answers are ambiguous.i think u should check out the SESAP 11 instead.best of luck.

So this is the final week before the big absite.
Any last-minute advice from those who have done it before?

Members don't see this ad :)
read the advanced surgical recall book chapters on Endocrine, Gi physiology, Transplant immunology, wound healing section of plastic surgery, nutrition, & and electrolyte abnomalities. This will get you 15 questions.

A few random topics they love to ask:
- interconverting grams nitrogen to grams protein for nitrogen balence problems
-the the kcal/kg metabolized from carbs,fat, & protein
-remember that atracurium is the only common anesthetic agent metabolized by hoffman mechanics
-where things are absorbed in the GI tract
-the various steps of the enterohepatic cycle
- which branchial arches structures come from in the head & neck
- adequate margins of resection & adjuvent tx. of melanoma, BCC, & SCC of the skin
-sensory/motor inervation of the hand
- fractures & dislocations that are associated with nerve/vascular injuries (they had a Volkman's ischemic contracture last year)
-anatomic boundries and relationships of the common hernias, hunter's canal, & the portal triad
-side effects of chemotx. agents
- be able to name the layers of the rectum if you get an EUS picture
-MEN syndromes out the yin-yang!
-tx. of malignat hyperthermia (they ask about 2-4 questions every time on same aspects of it & I've still yet to see one after 6 years of training now)
-side effects of the topical burn dressings (AgNO3,sulfamylon,silvadene)
-the physiology behind paradoxic aciduria
-usually something about oxalate kidney stones with enteral bypasses
-the histologic char. of some of the thyroid CA's (psamomma bodies, amyloid staining)
-clinical presentations of vitamin & trace element deficiencies (Zinc, Fe, Chromium,Vit B-6/12, Vit C,) & some scenarios to look for like refeeding syndrom (acute hypophos. & resp. failure after long periods of TPN when you resume enteral feeds). With all the bariatric surgery I imagine you'll start getting ?'s about the specific mineral issues with that procedure.

Originally posted by droliver

-the the kcal/kg metabolized from carbs,fat, & protein

-the various steps of the enterohepatic cycle

- which branchial arches structures come from in the head & neck

The irrelevant trivia never ends!! :mad:

Please tell me these kinds of questions aren't representative of what's on the ABS exam!!

Originally posted by 5oProlene
The irrelevant trivia never ends!! :mad:

Please tell me these kinds of questions aren't representative of what's on the ABS exam!!

Irrelevant? If you don't know it, how are you going to order TPN?

How are you going to know take care of liver and biliary diseases?

The only trivial thing is your lack of knowledge.

Gen surg includes critical care, trauma, chest surgery, vascular, GI, basic ortho, basic ENT, basic urology, basic gyn, and much more.

Irrelevant? If you don't know it, how are you going to order TPN?

Consult Nutrition. Is that an answer choice?

I think those minutia questions are just to set a curve for the exam because there are so few ?'s on it (220 or so). You don't so very much of them on the written board exam which has many more questions.

Just a little update on the one anesthesia factoid listed

-remember that atracurium is the only common anesthetic agent metabolized by hoffman mechanics

Cisatracurium is a derivative also metabolized by Hoffman degradation. Depending on how old the test questions are, atracurium is no longer commonly used secondary to a high degree of histamine release, which is not seen in cisatracurium.

Originally posted by 5oProlene
:thumbup:

Doubt it! ;)

(we're expected to write our own TPN).

Any rate, there are generally around 240 questions, you have 5 or so hours to finish it, and as droliver notes there are always lots of Endocrine questions, Cancer staging, figuring out amount of calories required for patient TPN, and know your GI Physiology (when and where stuff is secreted. I always miss those questions.)

The residents where I'm rotating are taking the absite tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone.

This one has been on there three out of the last four years...

treatment for brown recluse spider bite...
1. heparin
2. incision and drainage
3. antivenom
4. something else
5. dapsone

answer is dapsone. what a great and useful question.

I actually had a brown recluse bite show up in a VA surgery clinic once with a necrotizing infection. Studying for the inservice I'd read about Dapsone (in Adv. Surgery Recall I think). The thing with Dapsone is that you have to treat them early (< 24hrs) or it doesn't work is what I've been told