Abstract accepted at more than one conference -- does this count for 1+ publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have a poster accepted to several conferences, is there any benefit to doing this (and traveling to all these cities) in terms of residency applications? Does it count for more than one publication, or does it not really matter?

I know abstracts/posters aren't one the higher end of the academic scale anyway, but it'd be nice too know. :) Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Most conferences have rules preventing presenters from presenting the same abstract at any other conference. You have to choose one.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, like vokey said, most conferences have rules against this unless you get an exception made.

That said, an exception to this are local and regional conferences or grand rounds at your school that may not have rules against posters/presentations that have been presented elsewhere, but definitely check ahead of time. You can definitely list anything you've done, but I think it's obvious you presented the same material at both. I have one paper I presented at a national meeting and then later at a grand rounds and I listed both on my ERAS. I'm not sure it would be counted as an additional project, but there's definitely an overall visual impression that comes from seeing a nice long list of pubs/presentations/posters.

If your project is groundbreaking enough, you can always write the conference organizers and see if they'll grant you an exception to the rules about presenting multiple places. They may so 'no' but it would be worth a shot if the paper merits it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Abstracts are not publications.
Posters are not publications.

And presenting something more than once is fine. Not sure who would pay for you to do that unless it is a fairly big project, but it is fine.

No, it counts as a single abstract. Why would it multiply because it was presented at more than one place?

Reactions: 4 users
If I have a poster accepted to several conferences, is there any benefit to doing this (and traveling to all these cities) in terms of residency applications? Does it count for more than one publication, or does it not really matter?

I know abstracts/posters aren't one the higher end of the academic scale anyway, but it'd be nice too know. :) Thanks a lot!
How were you able to be allowed to present a poster to more than 1 place? I thought there were rules against that?

How were you able to be allowed to present a poster to more than 1 place? I thought there were rules against that?

Grand rounds, regional meeting, resident/student conference, local meeting and national meeting.

You can't publish in more than one place, but presenting is fine as long as that particular conference doesn't have specific stipulations.

Reactions: 1 user
Grand rounds, regional meeting, resident/student conference, local meeting and national meeting.

You can't publish in more than one place, but presenting is fine as long as that particular conference doesn't have specific stipulations.

Yeah we all just take our national presentations and recycle them for the departmental conference and local/state meeting

The only one that counts is the national meeting.

And presenting something more than once is fine. Not sure who would pay for you to do that unless it is a fairly big project, but it is fine.

No, it counts as a single abstract. Why would it multiply because it was presented at more than one place?

but don't they go in the "publications" section of eras, so if you had an abstract, wouldn't it count towards the number of publications you have listed on eras?

but don't they go in the "publications" section of eras, so if you had an abstract, wouldn't it count towards the number of publications you have listed on eras?

I honestly haven't used ERAS in like half a decade. If they do, then yes it would probably be added to the total number. In which case, you certainly shouldn't put down an abstract more than once.

ERAS has separate entries for pubs and presentations and posters. Just select whatever it is and fill out accordingly.

ERAS has separate entries for pubs and presentations and posters. Just select whatever it is and fill out accordingly.

but on charting the outcomes they are all counted as pubs, correct?

Probably. Good thing programs don't look at charting the outcomes.

We review applications pretty close. It is really obvious what reality is. If you are presenting the same thing over and over, people will notice.

that makes sense. i was just curious because all we see is a number on charting the outcomes, when some of these 'publications' may be essentially the same research presented in a different format.

Are case reports publications? Semi-srs question :(.

I had a poster that I presented at a regional meeting, that was later presented at a national meeting. I just listed the national meeting presentation on ERAS and made a note of any awards I received at the regional meeting in the honors/awards section. Though when I attended conferences that also published the abstracts, I dual listed (one peer-reviewed abstract entry and one presentation entry).

That being said, I think there are some benefits to presenting at multiple conferences (especially if you can find somebody to fund most of your travels -- some meetings will offer student scholarships and student affairs and pertinent departments at the medical school will often help you out). For one, you receive a lot of constructive feedback re: how to improve your presentation and identify weaknesses in your project to further improve and strengthen your manuscript. Secondly, if you happen to win awards at multiple conferences, those are definitely list-able on your CV/ERAS. Presenting the same thing at more than two meetings is probably overkill, though (but if the abstract has already been accepted to multiple meetings, some societies may frown upon withdrawing).

Last edited: