Academic Average VS. PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stanford Fencer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again to all my future colleagues....

How heavily do schools weigh the PAT? I just took my DAT, and got a 26 on the academic average, but an 18 on PAT.....
I've heard some schools look more closely at the PAT? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

That's an AWESOME academic score. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you...unless you were trying to go to a really tough school...but congrats.

stanford fencer,

WOW....awesome academic average buddy!...although I'm jealous now, you beat my 25...it's all about the 100th percentile rank, wasn't it cool seeing that on the print out?! I had a PAT of 20 and was also very disappointed, even considered taking it over again....HOWEVER, I spoke w/one of the admissions directors here at UNC and he told me that when your academic average is that far above the mean it really helps carry your PAT score as well. Anything above an 18 is solid for PAT even if you didn't have that high an academic score to carry it (which you do). Believe me, applications are going to be a cake walk for you as far as being granted interviews are concerned....my DAT score has opened many doors to the point I'm now wishing I hadn't applied to so many places (15!)....just pick your spots and sit back and enjoy it....again, CONGRATS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on that awesome score. May I ask your GPA etc. How did you prepare for the DAT, it seems like I forgot all of my Ochem. Where do you think I should start and how much time do you think it takes to prepare to get at least above 20? Any info would help. Thanks in advance.

I think that since the DAT really tests on very basic principles and concepts (especially applies on O-chem), you're better off knowing those really really well. I think that i went a bit overboard on my reaction memorization, which was totally useless. However, they(DAT dudes) do find creative ways to ask you (and mask) those basic concepts... So just know them well, and you'll shoot way past a 20.
(By basic concepts, I'm really talking about SN1, SN2, E1, E2, and ox/red reactions)

Sorry if this a dumb question, but what is the PAT?