• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

cavgirl

cavalier
10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
How significant are academic awards to medical school admission? High honors in freshman year, Venture Scholar, honors program, etc.

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
I think the honors you mentioned are a proxy for your academic performance. So they don't really help a whole lot unless you're going to explain one or more of them in your EC section...

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think the honors you mentioned are a proxy for your academic performance.
True, but they're a nice way to draw attention to your academic performance without sounding like a tool.

I'd be very uncomfortable saying "graduated in top 10% of my class". But I'd be fine saying I received Dean's Honors or whatnot.

Of course, both of these are theoretical for me, so I may not be the best person to talk about this....

About the Ads

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I think academic awards are all extremely common. The people applying to medical school generally have GPAs over 3.5, so they're going to qualify for academic awards. If you can get an award that is very selective, then I would think it would be a good thing. Things like Dean's list, Honors program, graduating with latin honors, etc. are extremely common and probably wouldn't help your application.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
How significant are academic awards to medical school admission? High honors in freshman year, Venture Scholar, honors program, etc.

Depends on the award. If it is something like say Goldwater Scholar, Rhodes Scholar, or to a lesser extent McNair Scholar it could be worth it to mention it.

If it is Dean's List that anyone with a certain GPA gets t hen no it isn't going to be worth it to list it unless you have absolutely nothing else of importance to list on your 15 ECs section. I'm sure it will be obvious that if you are past a certain GPA that you were most likely on the Deans list and either magna cum laude or summa cum laude in your graduation distinctions.

In other words, if it is something you had to compete for and were awarded it might be worth mentioning. if it is something that is common then don't.

Same with scholarships. If it is something that is like a state scholarship where everyone with a certain cutoff gets awarded the scholarship, then mention it. If not, then don't mention it.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.