Academic / Career Path Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandRand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a MS in psychology and am looking to get a counseling license in the state of Minnesota.

In my local area the University of Minnesota and St. Thomas both have APA accredited counseling programs. However, I graduated from Walden University (is regionally academically accredited however). I did not focus on counseling in any of my classes so I don't believe I fulfilled any of the counseling licensing criteria.

What is the best way for me to become a licensed counselor in the state of MN using what I currently have, specifically looking at addiction counseling?

Here are the requirements:

Master's or Doctoral degree program in counseling or a related field, from a program that is CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs) accredited or by an accrediting agency recognized by CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation).

Degree upon which license application is based must include:

-at least 48 semester or 72 quarter credits;
-a minimum 700 hour supervised field experience; and
-specific academic course content in ten subject areas.

However, Minn. Stat. § 148B.531 allows up to 20 semester or 30 quarter credits and any of the field experience hours to be completed post-degree for licensure purposes. If more than 20 semester or 30 quarter credits are earned post-degree, they must be earned in an organized sequence of study.

See here:

http://mn.gov/elicense/licenses/licensedetail.jsp?URI=tcm:29-2986&CT_URI=tcm:27-117-32

Members don't see this ad.

I have a MS in psychology and am looking to get a counseling license in the state of Minnesota.

In my local area the University of Minnesota and St. Thomas both have APA accredited counseling programs. However, I graduated from Walden University (is regionally academically accredited however). I did not focus on counseling in any of my classes so I don't believe I fulfilled any of the counseling licensing criteria.

What is the best way for me to become a licensed counselor in the state of MN using what I currently have, specifically looking at addiction counseling?

Here are the requirements:

Master's or Doctoral degree program in counseling or a related field, from a program that is CACREP (Council for Accreditation of Counseling & Related Educational Programs) accredited or by an accrediting agency recognized by CHEA (Council for Higher Education Accreditation).

Degree upon which license application is based must include:

-at least 48 semester or 72 quarter credits;
-a minimum 700 hour supervised field experience; and
-specific academic course content in ten subject areas.

However, Minn. Stat. § 148B.531 allows up to 20 semester or 30 quarter credits and any of the field experience hours to be completed post-degree for licensure purposes. If more than 20 semester or 30 quarter credits are earned post-degree, they must be earned in an organized sequence of study.

See here:

http://mn.gov/elicense/licenses/licensedetail.jsp?URI=tcm:29-2986&CT_URI=tcm:27-117-32

Assuming that because you didn't focus on any counseling coursework, that you also have no supervised face to face clinical experience, I don't see how you can get licensed. Also, the academic study of psychology is VERY different than the clinical application in a counseling sense. You really need that specific coursework.

Assuming that because you didn't focus on any counseling coursework, that you also have no supervised face to face clinical experience, I don't see how you can get licensed. Also, the academic study of psychology is VERY different than the clinical application in a counseling sense. You really need that specific coursework.

Agreed. Based on what you've posted, it sounds like it'd be a pretty significant undertaking for you to meet the state's licensure requirements. I'd imagine it'd likely be easier (and perhaps take about the same amount of time) to just go back for an approved counseling degree.

Addiction counseling is sometimes different, with individuals putting themselves forward as addicition counselors after having completed certificate-type training. I have absolutely no idea how well (if at all) such certification prepares you for competent practice, though, and I'd be shocked if they were able to work independently.