Academic, Disciplinary, and Conduct Records. Dean's Certification. What do dental schools ask for when looking into your undergrad history?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqi123

Reaction score
I've bene poking around on here, but what exactly do dental schools look at/ask for in terms of academic history (not transcripts), disciplinary records, conduct records, and dean's certification. Specifically, what forms or records do they ask for? Are they looking for academic dishonesty/cheating? I'm just wondering because someone told me that when applying to grad schools it's best to order a copy of all those things and look over at them first to be on the safe side. So I plan on requesting a bunch of records from my school just to make sure nothing is on them. What records do the dental schools request so I can make sure to request them as well? Also, when do dental schools ask for these records? Is it after they have accepted you into their program or when they are first initially reviewing your application? I know most dental schools usually want you to submit a dean's certification in june before you start?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you apply with unofficial transcripts and self-report if you've done anything wrong (whether cheating, misconduct, crimes, etc. whatever that may be) and then once accepted you send official copies and everything. unless something differs from what you've already told the school you should be fine

official transcripts from all unis attended, letter/certification from the dean's office (the name of that office varies at different unis), and possibly a background check. tufts does background check before matriculation and then after 2 years into school... and you have to pay for that second background check :cryi:

was a hassle to get copies. some schools charge for transcripts too. was easier to tell them to just send them directly to school but I guess it is smart to ask for a copy for yourself

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They perform another background check 2 years in? What is the reasoning behind that? What else do they check once in dental school?

Also what's a dean's letter, is this only a Tufts thing? I've never heard of it before

idk ask tufts why they need so many background checks... tbh I think it is because there are so many ethical problems at tufts. tufts admits students with misdemeanors, and students who have been previously expelled from dental school. The dean of admissions didn't get his phd until he was 40. (took him 10 years). so he likes to admit older, nontraditional students. but I think the older people are the more time they have to accumulate criminal records hence the multiple background checks. it is criminal because you have to pay for it yourself

dean's letter is a letter from your uni's dean of students if they have one. if they don't you just need some sort of letter explaining any disciplinary history. Tufts admits students who have bad disciplinary records... if they're white. if you're POC don't count on it

Reactions: 1 user