Academic Dishonesty 9-10 years ago & Non-trad applying to MD Schools in Canada:

• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Jul 23, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

So 9-10 years ago when I was a senior in my undergrad (Canadian University) I was involved with an academic misconduct - basically I wasn't prepared for a test and had a major lapse in judgement and I changed the date on my doctors note and gave it to the prof. My prof called the clinic to check and discovered I had lied. I got a 0 in my class and was suspended for a semester.
I realize it was a really really stupid & very immature thing to do. I have no excuses for why I acted this way and I regret it immensely. Looking back, I clearly did not have the maturity or the discipline to handle university and lacked any kind of ethics or respect for myself and for the institution. My overall GPA from that school is also really low (like 2.6).

Since then I have completed another 4 yr undergrad degree and achieved a 3.95 cGPA WHILE working full-time & being a full-time student. I have about 5 years of professional work experience, as well as 5 years of community service (both hospital & community & vulnerable populations), as well as many years of solid clinic experience as well (both as a first aid volunteer & lots of shadowing). I have done both business & science research & have lots of international experiences to talk about. My MCAT is 520. I am currently completing my last year of an MBA program and planning on applying soon.

I had pretty much given up on medical school but then someone close to me was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago and it kind of revoked the medical passion inside of me to try and make it. I have tried everything I possibly can to prove that I am not the same person as I was 10 years ago, but I am not sure if it is enough. How would admissions view this? Do I have a chance? I know a lot of schools say they will focus on the 2nd undergrad gpa but how will the IA impact me?

I have read other stories on these forums but those all seem to be of students with pretty recent IAs. I haven’t come across many that talk about IAs that took place a long time ago. How exactly would admissions view this?

I appreciate any advice that anyone could give me!

reaction mechanisms

2+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Wow, OP. It seems you have changed immensely. I’m no adcom, but I believe you’ve shown a level of maturity that is indicative of growth and preparedness for medical school. Are you applying this cycle? Curious to see what others have to say as well.

Reactions: onlineoriginally

Iris42

2+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2017
Status
Medical Student
No harm in trying, but don't quit your day job!
Not gonna lie, it is a red flag! But no one can predict how ad com would react to your story, especially given there is a huge surplus of applicants (with clean history) these days.
Consider PA school too, although I don't know how the pay would compare to your current salary. Do not apply to oversees schools.
Ask your letter writers to address trust/professionalism in their letters, and address the issue in your personal statement too.

Reactions: onlineoriginally
Jul 23, 2020
Status
Pre-Medical
No harm in trying, but don't quit your day job!
Not gonna lie, it is a red flag! But no one can predict how ad com would react to your story, especially given there is a huge surplus of applicants (with clean history) these days.
Consider PA school too, although I don't know how the pay would compare to your current salary. Do not apply to oversees schools.
Ask your letter writers to address trust/professionalism in their letters, and address the issue in your personal statement too.
Thanks for the reply! And thats a good idea about asking for topic specific LORs! Yes, you are absolutely right about there being a surplus of applicants, but I am hoping if I am able to tell a good story about what I have learned and how I have grown & change that I might have a shot.

About the Ads