This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackFrost

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would like to explain the whole background behind my academic dishonesty charge. This occurred for an intro biology class where we still had online exams. For these online exams, when an interruption occurred we were told to explain it which I failed to do. Basically, I have a history of urine issues and a few months ago, I had actually peed blood which is why I'm apprehensive anytime I feel a random pressure around my genitals which happened during the test. Been meeting up with my nephrologist due to this issue but anyways, I thought that I explained why I was leaving to use the bathroom when I had left the room but I hadn't. I only realized this a month after the actual test when I was given a notice by my college's academic judiciary as my professor had submitted an academic misconduct form against me. I know that I should have double-checked whether or not I had actually explained why I was leaving the room but I hadn't which is completely my fault. I'm going to have a hearing with the judiciary since I do feel like this is appealable but given the fact that I only really have medical evidence and I can't prove 100% that I didn't leave for other nefarious reasons, I'm going to most likely fail. I'll get an F in the class which honestly isn't that bad since I thought that I was originally going to be expelled. My gpa will tank but I've completed most of my pre-requisites with high grades so after this F, my non-science gpa should still be a 4.0 and my science gpa should be around a 3.5. However, I will have to report this action when applying to medical schools which worries me. Are my chances for medical school ruined or would I be able to compensate with a high MCAT and extracurriculars? At this point, I just want to get into a medical school.

Medical evidence would definitely help, as would any browser history evidence you have from that day on all your devices. Any office visit notes, blood work, urinalyses, imaging, etc. AND a browser history if you still have it. Prove to them you weren't going to the bathroom to look up things in the internet or your class notes on Canvas (or whatever you use; they can see your activity on there).

Keep praying and affirming your innocence. That professor is unjust and will get what's coming to him/her if they're treating students in such an aggressive way. Some people forget that a God still exists.

Reactions: 1 user
And do let us know how this turns out. It’s not a regular academic dishonesty charge but it is still there with almost no way for you to prove your honesty. . Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you visit your doctor or student health about this problem? Before or after the exam?

I don't know what is on the syllabus about this. The pandemic made it very challenging for everyone, and there is a lot of rampant online cheating and a lot of mistaken accusations.

If this is a bona fide health issue, you need to shape the argument in this way. Work with your physician and student health about this. I'm not sure but also include a disability services administrator to get advice. Young people (lack of a better term right now) get chronic illnesses too.

Don't put the horse before the cart here. See what happens in the hearing. Provide as much medical evidence as possible.

It would be incredibly stupid, IMO, if they actually fail a student for going to the bathroom especially with a bona fide health issue. Yes, you should have explained it when you got up, but taking the nuclear option would seem incredibly heavy-handed unless you have a history of sketchy interactions with online exams.

If this WASN'T the first time, then you could be in serious trouble. But before getting overly worked up try and fight it first.

Reactions: 7 users
I submitted medical documentation that showed that my urine tests revealed above high rbc in my urine a few months ago. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do if I lose this case. In all honesty. I've been beating myself up over this stupid lapse of judgement and if I do get an institutional action over this, I'm going to be lost over my future. I feel like I've ruined my entire 2 years of college grades due to this, how can the people at admissions trust that my grades weren't due to cheating over this. This has been the first time I've ever been accused of cheating so there's that at the very least even as pathetic as that sounds.
Fight to avoid being found guilty. However, all you can do after submitting your explanation, objective medical evidence, and a sincere statement of remorse for your unintentional oversight is to wait for the committee's response. As @GoSpursGo said, you do not know if you will be found guilty. Similarly, you do not know if the punishment will be a F for this course. While an academic IA will be detrimental to your application, you will have the opportunity to explain the circumstances as being one of unintentional oversight rather than an intentional attempt to cheat. With sufficient time and redemption (holding positions of trust, having recommenders speak of your integrity, etc.), I do not think that this will be a deal breaker at all schools, though it will certainly make your journey more difficult. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks a lot for the words of reassurance. I'm going to start working as a cna soon and I hope that this position, alongside my responsibilities as leadership in my club and a research assistant for a lab can show redemption. How much would sufficient time be though? Obviously I won't be able to apply as a rising senior like a bunch of my friends but would 2 years after the incident be fine or would it have to be significantly longer.

• Care
Thanks a lot for the words of reassurance. I'm going to start working as a cna soon and I hope that this position, alongside my responsibilities as leadership in my club and a research assistant for a lab can show redemption. How much would sufficient time be though? Obviously I won't be able to apply as a rising senior like a bunch of my friends but would 2 years after the incident be fine or would it have to be significantly longer.
Again, wait to see how the hearing turns out before deciding when to apply. You may be found innocent. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Good luck with the conduct board review. May I suggest that you use the word "urgency" to describe your need to use the bathroom rather than "random pressure". Many (all most all) of us know that feeling of needing the bathroom with no time to stop and explain the interruption. I think that you may receive the empathy of the board members as almost everyone has been in a situation where they needed to get there as quickly as possible!

Talk to a lawyer. Even if you have no case, it always helps to bring one to any sort of conduct meeting. I learned this the hard way!

Good luck with the conduct board review. May I suggest that you use the word "urgency" to describe your need to use the bathroom rather than "random pressure". Many (all most all) of us know that feeling of needing the bathroom with no time to stop and explain the interruption. I think that you may receive the empathy of the board members as almost everyone has been in a situation where they needed to get there as quickly as possible!
I think you are misunderstanding the issue.

As someone who also took proctored remote exams during the pandemic, the issue is not that OP had a "urgent" need to leave the room. The issue is that OP did not disclose at the end of the exam, as required, gambling that no one would review tape.

OP lost that bet, and now has a really "urgent" problem that explaining the need to use the rest room will not solve. OP faces the uphill battle of explaining why they did not disclose. It looks like they were hiding something. Possibly because they were.

"I forgot that I was alone in a room taking an exam and was supposed to explain any time I was out of camera range" is just going to be a very tough sell that has absolutely nothing to do with bladder issues. Most of us facing such an issue would be tripping over ourselves to explain well before being called into a disciplinary hearing.

Last edited:
Talk to a lawyer. Even if you have no case, it always helps to bring one to any sort of conduct meeting. I learned this the hard way!
Depending on the school and process, this may either (a) not be allowed, or (b) make what would have been a pretty straightforward proceeding confrontational in a way that would not be in the OPs benefit.

In my experience, if a student shows up with a lawyer, the university counsel gets involved and it's completely out of the hands of the faculty who would be most likely to see this as a non-issue and into the hands of someone who deals in technicalities.

Reactions: 5 users
I think you are misunderstanding the issue.

As someone who also took proctored remote exams during the pandemic, the issue is not that OP had a "urgent" need to leave the room. The issue is that OP did not disclose at the end of the exam, as required, gambling that no one would review tape.

OP lost that bet, and now has a really "urgent" problem that explaining the need to use the rest room will not solve. OP faces the uphill battle of explaining why they did not disclose. It looks like they were hiding something. Possibly because they were.

"I forgot that I was alone in a room taking an exam and was supposed to explain any time I was out of camera range" is just going to be a very tough sell that has absolutely nothing to do with bladder issues. Most of us facing such an issue would be tripping over ourselves to explain well before being called into a disciplinary hearing.

Got it! I have not taken such an exam, nor given one, nor proctored one, so I was unfamiliar with the protocol. I agree that the OP is up ****'s creek and may be p*ssing into the wind in a battle with the honor board.

Waiting now for @Goro and @gonnif to pile on.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
In all honesty, the no explanation is going to be a tough sell. Honesty and immediate forthcoming likely receives sympathy from the instructor as 99% of the time a student doesn't send anything. For example, last semester, one of my spanish exams was online and the software messed up and the webcam didn't proctor my exam at all. I didn't notice until the exam was ending as usually it sends a message saying it's no longer using the webcam. I immediately emailed the instructor and frantically explained what happened, offered to come to his office right then and redo the entire exam, take a different exam, the whole 9 yards. He responded and told me not to worry about it, just to make sure it didn't happen again and moved on. If I hadn't emailed him, I can only assume it would've looked far more intentional. I think the lesson to be learned here is immediately deal with things rather than hoping for the best and explaining later, especially when it can call your integrity into question. I hope your academic board has some sympathy, though. Take as much evidence from your doctor as you can, get him to write a note if possible. If you're a strong student known for putting in effort, see if you can get a letter from a past teacher that can speak to that and your character. Stuff like that can only help.

I certainly concur that if the OP made no attempt even after the exam to explain the problem, then the OP can be liable. Having an illness is not by itself a reason to not follow the expectations of the instructor. But I am not witness to how the OP was prompted or confirmed that there was nothing to report.

I certainly concur that if the OP made no attempt even after the exam to explain the problem, then the OP can be liable. Having an illness is not by itself a reason to not follow the expectations of the instructor. But I am not witness to how the OP was prompted or confirmed that there was nothing to report.
I think I can help you with that!

From the OP at the top of the thread:

"For these online exams, when an interruption occurred we were told to explain it which I failed to do. ... I thought that I explained why I was leaving to use the bathroom when I had left the room but I hadn't. I only realized this a month after the actual test when I was given a notice by my college's academic judiciary as my professor had submitted an academic misconduct form against me. I know that I should have double-checked whether or not I had actually explained why I was leaving the room but I hadn't which is completely my fault. ..."