Medical Academic dishonesty IA freshman year twice -should I just give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cheated on my online advanced statistics final by looking up an answer on Chegg and got caught this semester. First semester I got in trouble for sharing answers to a Computer Science assignment with a classmate. I received one IA for both of these incidents. Should I just give up? I'm pretty sure I dug a deep hole for myself to attempt to get out of. Any rectifying actions like LORs from these to professors? The IA won't appear on my transcript but I don't wanna be slimey and risk it by not revealing these things. I just wanna know if it's even viable to attempt matriculating to ANY US MD/DO school in the next ten years.
So you cheated not once but twice? If so, it telegraphs that you don't learn your lessons.

You're still a freshman? If so, there is room for you to grow from this, but do NOT screw up again. Otherwise, your medical career will be over.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I try to get LORs from those professors? (Within reason) does that legitimately help in your eyes or not really. I screwed up. I'm a CS major really interested in pharmacology etc. Should I jump into industry first for a couple of years to distance myself from these transgressions?
You need to figure out why you can't stop being a cheater. I don't think industry would take those incidents lightly either. Some faculty are going to take the two separate incidents very seriously, even if it occurred in just your freshman year.

Maybe healthcare industry, Tech industry probably does not look into Institutional action at all and consequences for fibbing about it isn't nearly as severe. I think I've taken a good look back and realized that cheating is extremely unprofessional. The reason I cheated was because I was sick for a very long time and instead of asking for a last minute extension on the final because I still was sick after 35 days, I looked up the last question on Chegg like a ******* and very obviously copied it directly from Chegg. The professor found out, I told him the whole situation and he gave me a 0 on the final but rounded my grade to 70% (passing grade)because he felt bad that I am having COVID complications. Looking back on it, I should've sent him an email telling him I did not feel well enough to take the final that day instead of being unprofessional and cheating. I will now live by the quote "everything will be okay as long as you are professional in your actions" and think about that phrase before I do anything further in my career.
You used Chegg for both of your cheating incidents?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I used Chegg for one, The first one was me sharing code with someone else first semester. So damn stupid of me.
I can say with a bit more certainty that some schools will rule you out because of two cheating incidents outright no matter how long ago it occurred. It would be good to find out how those infractions have been handled before when you reach out to schools before applying and determining if your aspirations for medicine or health care are dashed forever.

They both resulted in a course based sanction of letter grade reduction. I have currently been put on Conduct probation because of it. Conduct probation is reportable for 7 years once assigned so I'm thinking I'll head to the tech industry or do software engineering in the healthcare field in the meantime and reevaluate how I feel about trying to go to medical school later.
That's good for you, but realize the Code of Conduct for all applicants requires you to always disclose these infractions even if the record is expunged. If it is later discovered you did not represent yourself honestly, you will have offers rescinded or possibly get expelled if you matriculate.

Institutional Action: Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

I understand but I think putting distance from it will help regardless.

It will help, but you're getting advice from experts. While I always say to take advice with a grain of salt, we are people who have no motivation to trip you up, and we are not anonymous trolls. We are people who have been verified and selected for our expertise. Please think hard before applying to medical school, which you are unlikely to get into with these infractions on your record, without re-processing the advice you've been given. Sure, 10 years of distance between an undergraduate IA and med school might be enough distance. Why not? But I doubt most people want to wait that long to go to medical school.

I would suggest that in five years, post here before you apply, and you'll hear the real deal before you apply.

I understand but I think putting distance from it will help regardless.
Maybe in 10 years, a different roster of admissions committee members will change the screening rules, but you can't bet on that happening. I'm just saying from the perspective I have looking at our screening rules and from discussions with faculty.

My real goal is medical epidemiology so maybe I'll go get an MPH before I apply to med school.
I guess you can look at this two ways:

1. As others have stated, your chances of admission with this on your record are not too hot because of the obvious. Wait for a long time (like you said) and get some distance between the infractions and application. This will take a while and at this point, you may just move on and not become a doctor anymore.

2. Apply. See what happens. Maybe a school will give you a shot. Are your chances great? No. But you only need ONE school to say yes. But you won't know for sure if you don't apply. What if you did apply and got in and you WOULD have waited ten years or never applied?

However, whichever route you go, ABSOLUTELY disclose this regardless because of the problems that will arise if you get caught down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.