Academic Dishonesty-my friend turned in my paper-chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariiiibar1021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, my good friend asked to see how I wrote a 5 point paper for a gen-ed class. The paper was an "opinion" paper. I did send her my paper, and she accidentally turned in my copy online instead of the one she had previously wrote. After hearings and appeals, we were both found guilty of academic dishonesty, even though she stated that her teacher gave her permission to obtain a copy of another student's work (this was why I was granted an appeal, and I was still found "guilty"). Since the appeal occurred after graduation, no consequences were given (the "ethics" seminar I should have been assigned was dropped, and no grade change occurred. My friend got a zero on the 5 point assignment and took the ethics seminar, but she was already admitted into grad school at this time). This charge is on my academic record, but not my transcript. I definitely learned the hard way not to share my work and not to trust others in keeping my work private, etc. My question is, if I write about this, will the situation be believed and is there a good chance I can still get in to PT programs? My GRE is above average (317) and GPA slightly below average (3.5ish), ECs are good.

Also, the question on PTCAS asks if I have received "disciplinary action" for student conduct violations. There was no consequence or disciplinary action done, but my record does show I violated academic integrity, so I assume I need to check "yes." Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Long story short, my good friend asked to see how I wrote a 5 point paper for a gen-ed class. The paper was an "opinion" paper. I did send her my paper, and she accidentally turned in my copy online instead of the one she had previously wrote. After hearings and appeals, we were both found guilty of academic dishonesty, even though she stated that her teacher gave her permission to obtain a copy of another student's work (this was why I was granted an appeal, and I was still found "guilty"). Since the appeal occurred after graduation, no consequences were given (the "ethics" seminar I should have been assigned was dropped, and no grade change occurred. My friend got a zero on the 5 point assignment and took the ethics seminar, but she was already admitted into grad school at this time). This charge is on my academic record. I definitely learned the hard way not to share my work and not to trust others in keeping my work private, etc. My question is, if I write about this, will the situation be believed and is there a good chance I can still get in to PT programs? My GRE is above average (317) and GPA slightly below average (3.55ish), ECs are good.

Also, the question on PTCAS asks if I have received "disciplinary action" for student conduct violations. There was no consequence or disciplinary action done, but my record does show I violated academic integrity, so I assume I need to check "yes." Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks!

I would definitely disclose this (especially since it is marked on your transcript) and mark yes under the Academic Infraction section on your application so that it gives you the option/textbox to explain the situation. I am sure student misconduct happens more often than people think. Student misconduct happens for a variety of random reasons. You can be guilty of student misconduct for urinating on buildings/bushes. Often your judgment is decided by a group of your undergraduate peers anyway so who's to say how much weight that really carries.. /shrug/ I think it is important to note in your application, but I wouldn't fret too much. Your overall stats seem solid.

I would definitely disclose this (especially since it is marked on your transcript) and mark yes under the Academic Infraction section on your application so that it gives you the option/textbox to explain the situation. I am sure student misconduct happens more often than people think. Student misconduct happens for a variety of random reasons. You can be guilty of student misconduct for urinating on buildings/bushes. Often your judgment is decided by a group of your undergraduate peers anyway so who's to say how much weight that really carries.. /shrug/ I think it is important to note in your application, but I wouldn't fret too much. Your overall stats seem solid.
Thanks. To clarify, it's not on my transcript, but it is on my academic record file. I hope you're right though. From what I keep reading, academic dishonesty is a huge red flag and difficult to recover from, which freaked me out. I don't think my situation is as "bad" compared to the typical cheating or plagiarism, but I don't know how it will be viewed or if it will even be looked at once seeing the "yes" checked.