Academic Dishonesty. Should I Still Apply for Dental School?

May 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Just go for it. No one here besides Adcoms will know if you have a chance or not. If you don't give it a try, then you will regret it rest of your life.

Last edited:

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
5+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2014
Alterac Valley
I haven't seen a single Dental Adcom posting on here. And it's their opinions that count. Not that of fellow pre-dents on this website. Your best bet is calling admissions offices and talking to officers directly. Good luck.

Sbsox30

5+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Dental Student
I think it all depends on how bad your infraction is. Cheating on a lab or HW is not the same as stealing a test or egregiously cheating on an exam. Schools take honesty, ethics and, morals seriously, so you have an uphill battle if the infraction is bad. You have the stats but have to do activities that will overcome your perceived lack of integrity when it comes to ethics. Not saying you haven't changed, but the elephant on your application will be this IA. Work with kids, feed the homeless, set up fundraisers---> Do things that show you are not the same person, and get a respected person (clergy, local government, leader of community ADA chapter) to write you a letter that highlights your incredible moral standards. You need someone to vouch for you because no matter how remorseful you sound, having someone else go to bat for you will be much more productive

-goodluck

Last edited:

oralcare123

7+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2010
Status
You will have to explain this in detail in your application and show how you changed. I heard Adcoms like a "reborn" person.
I think you have to try at least ones to know if you have a chance. I guess, it would be wise to apply broadly

RuffDay

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Unfortunately, this is going to be a major setback for you. Academic dishonesty is taken very seriously, and I am not sure whether you cheated by copying a homework (less severe) or copying/stealing an exam. Depending on the severity will determine when you will get into dental school.

You may receive several rejections due to your academic dishonesty. Even after several years from the incident, some schools might not want a person that has a past of cheating. They fear that dishonest dentists start off as dishonest students. Even though a person can learn from their mistakes, and never repeat their mistakes, some schools do not want to take any risks.

Is your dental career over? I don't think so. However, you are on the right track to take time to reflect on the incident. Using your time and new experiences after you've graduated to demonstrate your integrity and commitment to dentistry, I believe that it is possible to overcome this roadblock and get into dental school.

You will have an opportunity to explain yourself with AADSAS, and probably several other secondaries. Be sure you explain yourself well, and this will be the most crucial part of your application. In this essay, explain what happened, do not make any excuses, how did you accept your responsibilities, and most importantly, what did you learn from this experience. It also helps that you have a character reference that describes your integrity.

Reactions: DentalLonghorn2014

NavyDDS1990

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2014
Status
Dental Student
I've seen a few people on SDN posting threads about their academic misconducts.
And at the end, I've seen plenty of them receiving interviews with multiple acceptances so don't give up!
As long as you explain well and show you've changed, and along with competitive stats, I do believe that you will receive multiple interview invitations.
Good luck!!

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
Hi all,

Here is my situation. I graduated from college two years ago with a 3.7 GPA, and since then I work as a system analyst in an electronics company.

Back in my sophomore year I committed an act of academic dishonesty and it is in my permanent record.I do not want to justify it, for what I did is indeed wrong and stupid. I took full responsibility for my act, and I believe it is rightfully that the record will be following me in the rest of my life. Everyday since then I am remorseful for what I did in that assignment, and how unfair it was to my peers who actually did their work.I truly learned my lesson from the incident, and won’t let that happen again.

Right after the incident,I was advised to “find a new career path”, or at least take few years off before I apply. I have a clean record since then, and I have pretty good shadowing and volunteer experience.After working for two years, I realize I still wanted to be a dentist, but I am not sure if it is worth a try given my situation. As far as I know academic dishonesty is the one of the worst red flags in dental school application. I cannot blame those who have second guesses on a candidate with dishonest past, and I understand there’s no way I could prove it was only a "one time thing”.

Please feel free to be as candid as you wish. I would really appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thank you.
Your lucky you did not fail the course, many people who receive academic dishonesty, not only have it on the record, but also the GPA tanks because of the F. You were lucky and many people would wish to just have it on the record without the F. Many of those people still apply to graduate schools, so you still have a decent shot.

P.S.Allow me to speak candidly I personally dislike people who cheat, because of many reasons, and if someone like an Adcom who despises people that cheat, your going to have a hard time. I dont believe people change over two years as well, and I believe adcoms are more experienced than me to already know this. However on a positive note, someone will give you the time of day because after all we are all humans who make mistakes. They already know you are remorseful, when people commit mistakes, they will indubitably feel remorseful, so those of the people saying at least your remorseful, you should think deeper and not state the obviousness.

Also I do not know the severity of your academic dishonesty, but if it was an exam/quiz I meant everything I said, if not I may have meant 50% of it.

You have a 3.7GPA be happy they didnt fail you, hopefully you understand cheating is wrong. Sadly most people will cheat within a heartbeat, many people on SDN probably cheat more than you but havent got caught yet. Sorry if I was offensive, but you need to understand a harsher perspective.
You might make it, I would say good luck, but based on personal experience no one has changed within two years.

tivark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
the best advice i can think of is this is probably the wrong forum to seek a worthwhile definite answer. whether most of the people here vote go for it or forget it, its probably not going to be helpful as the majority of us are pre-dents anyway.

that being said, youve got nothing to lose (other than some money) to apply - and thats replaceable. i would

OSUkid

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Oct 27, 2014
Gotham
the best advice i can think of is this is probably the wrong forum to seek a worthwhile definite answer. whether most of the people here vote go for it or forget it, its probably not going to be helpful as the majority of us are pre-dents anyway.

that being said, youve got nothing to lose (other than some money) to apply - and thats replaceable. i would
Medical student eh? Take me under your wing, because you have to teach me how time can be replaceable.

tivark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
im using my husband's profile. his med school days are long gone.
Medical student eh? Take me under your wing, because you have to teach me how time can be replaceable.
Im using my husbands profile. Hes long past his med school days