Academic Dismissal after freshman year, do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAG0612

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was dismissed because of my low GPA after freshman year. I was having plenty of difficulty in my classes however after being dismissed I transferred from the university I was at to a nearby college where I earned A's in every single class I took (except for one C and B). The transferring of schools also coincided with beginning to take medication for ADD which I believe has helped me greatly (I always had difficulties focusing but I thought that it was normal, turns out it isn't).

I plan on transferring back to the school I was dismissed from to finish my bachelors now in the fall. I qualify for academic salvage, in program where the school will recalculate my GPA removing all classes I previously received a D or F in. I have been volunteering at a nearby children's hospital for almost a year now and I have over 100 hours of patient contact volunteer service. I also plan on shadowing doctors over the summer through this program in the hospital I volunteer at.

Is there any chance that I will get into MD school if I do good on my MCAT even though I had a very rocky start? Becoming a Doctor is something I have dreamed of my entire life, and I cannot see myself doing anything else!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Your Ds and Fs will haunt you forever. Hopefully there aren't too many and you can average out a decent GPA. Applications recalculate your GPA including any and all post-secondary courses taken.

right now with all my D's and F's my overall GPA is a 3.41 which I think is not too bad considering that my bad grades are thrown in there.

Do you think you could get your cGPA up to a 3.5 by the time you graduate, with your BCPM GPA about the same? If so, then with a 32 MCAT score , you'd have a shot at allopathic med schools. With your GPA as it is, with an MCAT score of 26+, there are some osteopathic med schools that will consider you (and they practice grade replacement, unlike AMCAS, so any retaken coursework would override the original poor grade).

You still have a chance to become a physician. If you don't plan to apply to DO med schools, then you can take additiopnal postbac work to raise your GPAs further, or consider an SMP (Special Masters Program) which overrides a low GPA if you get a 3.5 GPA or better while competing with first year med students.

Reactions: 1 users