Academic docs on this forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wondering if there are any university based academic pain docs on this forum.

I'm not asking you to identify yourself, where you practice etc. just curious how many peruse SDN

Members don't see this ad.

just wondering if there are any university based academic pain docs on this forum.

I'm not asking you to identify yourself, where you practice etc. just curious how many peruse SDN

For what it's worth...several years ago I was attending an academic PM&R meeting where, among other things, the topic of conversation turned to SDN. Many of the participants sitting around the table were well aware of it, but eschewed posting due to concerns about being "monitored" by department chairs, competitors/rivals; or, having the posted information "used against them" by current or former trainees. I don't know what the latter perceived threat really meant, but it seemed kind of weak to me.

I don't know if the experience generalizes to academic pain medicine, but based upon informal feedback I suspect it does...

For what it's worth...several years ago I was attending an academic PM&R meeting where, among other things, the topic of conversation turned to SDN. Many of the participants sitting around the table were well aware of it, but eschewed posting due to concerns about being "monitored" by department chairs, competitors/rivals; or, having the posted information "used against them" by current or former trainees. I don't know what the latter perceived threat really meant, but it seemed kind of weak to me.

I don't know if the experience generalizes to academic pain medicine, but based upon informal feedback I suspect it does...

lot of paranoia, rules, and backstabbing in academic medicine.

I was originally going to do academics, but after further exposure to whats listed above, I fortunately decided before the end of fellowship to do academically minded private practice. Best of both worlds, being your own boss, making more money, and you can still always fulfill any desire to publish if you want, and can always work with the local residency if you want to teach.