academic ER doc salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drboris

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do academic ER docs make and what kind of schedule/lifestyle do they enjoy?

Do ER/IM board certified docs make more than just ER docs in academia...I read somewhere that most ER/IM residencies produce docs who go into ER academia

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by drboris
How much do academic ER docs make and what kind of schedule/lifestyle do they enjoy?

Do ER/IM board certified docs make more than just ER docs in academia...I read somewhere that most ER/IM residencies produce docs who go into ER academia

Thanks

It will vary by region and hospital. Here in the midwest at my institution, starting for an academic is about 165-170. They work about 32 hrs of clinical time and an office day. Like most jobs, the younger staff seem to be screwed with the lousier shifts, etc.

The pay ceiling for community hospital work is much, much higher.

Of the EM/IM trained, I don't think they make more, at least at our program.

mike

According to this year's ACEP resource guide, the median salary nationwide for academic emergency physicians is $178,814 (up from $167,053 in 2001).

Around 175k here at Penn for Asst. Prof. Work 26 +/- hrs of shifts per week, equal sharing of nights, etc (except for the chairman). Expected to teach/research/etc. with rest of time.

Not bad.