1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Academic forgiveness - OT schools?

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by chooristina, Aug 8, 2011.

1. chooristina

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hi I heard about a pharmacy school in Nevada that has an academic forgiveness program in which grades are only considered from the past 5 years.

Does anyone know of an OT program that has a similar academic forgiveness policy?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Whistle Pig

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    This would be refreshing. But I'm not holding my breath as we wait to hear about all the programs, ANY program of good reputation, advancing this position. Hope I'm off-base. Again.

4. FutureOT2013

FutureOT2013 Occupational Therapist
    7+ Year Member

Occupational Therapist
    Sounds similar to schools that only look at your last 2 years or last 60 units, but that isn't referred to as academic forgiveness. It's more like a "what have you done for me lately" type of deal. SJSU looks at last 60 and I believe UWashington only looks at your last 2 years also.

5. veggieswirl

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Most schools will take your last 5 years much more seriously. Grade trend is also important. No school wants to look at your more recent grades, compare them to your older grades, and come to the conclusion that you were once an excellent student that fell into mediocrity. It's good to start at mediocrity at stay there!
    Edit: If you retake a prerequisite OT class like Anatomy, the vast majority of schools will consider the better grade, at least most of the schools I've checked with.

#4 veggieswirl, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  6. superCOTA

superCOTA MS, OT by 2011 !!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Is this like State Farm's accident forgiveness?

Be strong and recent in your pre-reqs, dont pick the most popular schools, and have a nice reason (excuse) ... simple immaturity is a good reason. Good Luck.

7. chooristina

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    thanks everyone. i'll be sure to check out UW now.