Academic History...need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IDK22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short, I've always wanted to be a doctor, but I ended up with almost all C's in every single one of my pre-reqs in college (including senior year in physics) due to bad study habits & not ever correcting them until later. After college, for the past year, I've retaken almost all of my pre-reqs at CCs but I will likely have 2 Cs left in organic chemistry (have had a hard time scheduling these classes with work and other class load). I've also taken A&P series and Genetics and classes in the "other sciences" to show schools I can get As in new classes...

My question are:
- Should I absolutely enroll in the fall in Organic Chemistry and try to update these grades or would it be better to sign up for biochemistry and do well in that?
- Do people apply/get into DO programs with non-retake Cs in pre reqs?
- Should I make a big point of my academic record/improvement in my personal statement or is there a better place on the application to discuss this (interview, secondaries)? I've tried to show my best qualities, but I feel like not mentioning this may make me look like I'm dodging my proficiency in science classes?

With the retakes and additional classes I've taken I will be around a cGPA/sGPA 3.5 by the end of summer so I will for sure meet the requirements for screening purposes. I took the mcat after graduating and scored a horrible 20. Took it again a few months later and got a 26 (PS 10/VR 8/ BS 8). My ECs are what I believe will make the biggest difference (1000 hours EMT/clinical research/other unique jobs). Strong LORs & one from DO and MD. Planning to submit July 1st. CA resident.

Any advice from those who've been in a similar boat or are in it currently I'd love to hear what you have to say. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Id retake the two O-chems and skyrocket that sGPA.

Thanks. I'm going to try to, but probably won't be until winter/spring quarter since the CCs I'm at don't offer it in the summer and fall...going to retake gen chem III this summer and go from C+ --> A hopefully and take some additional "other science" courses.

I'm just really worried whether those extra Cs in Ochem is going to cut me out from a lot of schools- I mean, it seems like schools don't look through specific grades until after the interview, right? So if I get past the screen, rock the interview, I might still have a good chance to discuss my progress since then?

Members don't see this ad :)
A) This is a marathon, not a sprint
B) If we screened out all applicants with Cs in orgo, then both DO and MD schools would have classes of maybe 20 students each.

Thanks. I'm going to try to, but probably won't be until winter/spring quarter since the CCs I'm at don't offer it in the summer and fall...going to retake gen chem III this summer and go from C+ --> A hopefully and take some additional "other science" courses.

I'm just really worried whether those extra Cs in Ochem is going to cut me out from a lot of schools- I mean, it seems like schools don't look through specific grades until after the interview, right? So if I get past the screen, rock the interview, I might still have a good chance to discuss my progress since then?

A) This is a marathon, not a sprint
B) If we screened out all applicants with Cs in orgo, then both DO and MD schools would have classes of maybe 20 students each.

Just to add to this, I failed organic chemistry, had Ds, and W's and am going to medical school. Don't use me as the rule, but with hard work and determination you can get into good schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @Goro and @Orog! Hopefully my new retaken grades and added classes will show the person and study habits that I am/have today. I won't sweat the old Cs as much and keep up the new As!