Academic IM Chances/Program suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doggeronie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
XXXX

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean, your numbers aren't too wildly off from what mine were at least for Step 1, and I did academic IM -> fellowship. So, is it possible? Yeah, definitely.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, your numbers aren't too wildly off from what mine were at least for Step 1, and I did academic IM -> fellowship. So, is it possible? Yeah, definitely.

The decade you graduated in seems to be an important factor here

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I'm an M4 at a lower tier US MD school. I'm applying IM and am interested in possible fellowship after that but I know I'm not a stellar candidate so I just wanted to get a perspective on what my chances were like.

I have a 222 on Step 1, and a 241 on Step 2 CK.
I go to an unranked P/F school and have passed everything. Straight passes in 3rd year, and my grade from my IM sub-I is still pending. No publications in med school either, only some light research with small community interventions. Have 3 poster presentations from that at small time conferences.
I have held many leadership positions and have a LOT of volunteer experience.

Is it at all possible for me to match at an academic IM program, preferably on the east coast? It doesn't need to be a top program or anything.
How wedded are you to the "east coast" portion of this?

Can select specific programs on residencyexplorer.org and compare yourself to other matched applicants. That may be the better "objective" place to answer this question. I would also encourage you to reach out to your home/SubI mentor or program director who will have greater insight. Good luck!