MD Academic Integrity Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkm17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They are, if there were a surveillance camera, I'd be proven innocent, but that is only half of the battle.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might need some legal help in a "he said/she said" situation.

At the least, learn how to cross-examine someone; people who are lying are generally not good at keeping up the lie.

If this does go on your file, it might be mitigated is every LOR writer from your school attests that the charges are bogus.

It's a good thing your group is willing to back you up; the more witnesses, the better.

But if not, then your medical career is effectively over.

Hi,

I am currently involved in an academic integrity case in a class that is not related to my major. I talked with the professor and she said initially that she did not believe me; however, my group came in and talked to her and she said that she would let it go. But another student, a former friend has made some untrue statement about me collaborating with her on this particular problem in the assignment. The professor had no choice but to submit this information to the student conduct staff in light of the situation. If I am found guilty, I was told it doesn't go on my transcript but it will be on file. In my applications to medical schools I was told I would probably need to disclose this. This has been a tough case because I didn foresee these false allegations arising. I am also a sophomore. What are my chances?

Thank you.

I have no idea about this stuff but what kind of burden of proof does the student conduct committee need to see? I would hope they essentially need at least very close to "innocent until proven guilty" before telling a student their "medical career is effectively over", I mean at this point I'd probably rather spend a year in jail than hear all my efforts since premed have been in vain. It is a pretty serious punishment

I am an innocent until/unless proven otherwise.

I wouldn't worry about it if you're innocent then.

Hi,

I am currently involved in an academic integrity case in a class that is not related to my major. I talked with the professor and she said initially that she did not believe me; however, my group came in and talked to her and she said that she would let it go. But another student, a former friend has made some untrue statement about me collaborating with her on this particular problem in the assignment. The professor had no choice but to submit this information to the student conduct staff in light of the situation. If I am found guilty, I was told it doesn't go on my transcript but it will be on file. In my applications to medical schools I was told I would probably need to disclose this. This has been a tough case because I didn foresee these false allegations arising. I am also a sophomore. What are my chances?

Thank you.

This is weird. So you didn't cheat at all, but the professor suspected you did, but your partners backed you up, but another student claimed you cheated in the exact same manner as originally suspected? What aroused your prof's suspicions in the first place? How did your ex-friend know to make such a perfectly devastatingly specific false accusation - was the initial investigation common knowledge?

I saw below you're "innocent until proven guilty"...but that's not always the observed standard in academic integrity cases. And frankly, these are some unusual circumstances to arise out of a misunderstanding-slash-framing.

This sounds like one of those cases where the topic creator was doing exactly what they were accused of and is trying to make a convincing excuse for their unethical behavior.

Reactions: 1 user
An academic integrity related IA is a significant red flag, but not all academic dishonesty violations are viewed equally. Accidental plagiarism during freshman year because you forgot to properly cite your sources? Not a big deal. Deliberately cheating on an assignment/exam (no matter how small)? You'll be fighting an uphill battle on Mt. Everest.

To the OP, if the case is unresolved, do whatever you can to avoid getting a disciplinary record as a result of this academic integrity issue. But if somehow you are found responsible for this incident, then your chances will depend on the severity of the violation and your explanation of the incident on the AMCAS application.

Reactions: 1 user
I would appeal.
I was on my schools judicial board in medical school for a couple years.
I don't think you would have been convicted based on the evidence you provided here. They said you used a solution manual, but your errors are not the same as the known errors in the solution manual? That's the whole defense right there. People that use the manuals generally just copy the answers, that's how you know they cheated. They copy the errors that don't make sense and end up with the correct answer. They either are the same or they are not.
Perhaps there is more to the story.
PS Your false accuser would have been expelled for lying. And once she admitted to lying, she would not have been questioned further. Her other accusations should have no weight as she admitted to lying and has proven to be untrustworthy.

Definitely appeal. The Professor's reasoning is so contorted that I'm amazed she didn't strangle herself. You will need to produce the Study manual and your answers to show that you didn't copy them word for word as you attest. This would remove the sole pillar the Professor's reasoning rests upon.

That and the student's admission of lying.

Go to Dep't Chair, then Dean, University President, Provost, Chancellor, as far up the chain of command as you can.

I will definitely appeal, I will be writing the appeal soon, and will physically hand it in to the office with a witness.