Academic integrity violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nick The Camel

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I had an ASSIGNMENT (not paper) due that consisted of about 12-13 questions and one of my answers which was only like a sentence or 2, (which don't have a wide range of variability) resembled a students from 2 years ago , including the same typo in the word "cytochrome". Can I argue that I don't know the student , which I don't . And that this although rare occurrence is very possible . Currently my assignment is going to be investigated , but I spoke to an advisor at my school for now and he said since the assignment is less than 5 percent of my grade any sanction I would receive if I remain academically honest for the rest of my school career it wouldn't go on my record ... what I wanna know is should I argue that it is possible, should I appeal anything and as for the going off my record is this true ? Or would I need to still report it to med schools ( just like how the school tells you if you fail and retake it "replaces")
Also is a no contest verdict equally as bad as to have committing the violation ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I had an ASSIGNMENT (not paper) due that consisted of about 12-13 questions and one of my answers which was only like a sentence or 2, (which don't have a wide range of variability) resembled a students from 2 years ago , including the same typo in the word "cytochrome". Can I argue that I don't know the student , which I don't . And that this although rare occurrence is very possible . Currently my assignment is going to be investigated , but I spoke to an advisor at my school for now and he said since the assignment is less than 5 percent of my grade any sanction I would receive if I remain academically honest for the rest of my school career it wouldn't go on my record ... what I wanna know is should I argue that it is possible, should I appeal anything and as for the going off my record is this true ? Or would I need to still report it to med schools ( just like how the school tells you if you fail and retake it "replaces")
Also is a no contest verdict equally as bad as to have committing the violation ?

You don't have to know a student to copy their work. Copies of tests went around in several of my college classes that were a couple years old.

If it's definitely not going to show on any official record then don't report it.

No contest is a plea not a verdict?

Is this in the hands of your instructor or has it been kicked up to the level of a dean or academic integrity office?

If the school (institution) takes no action or does not sanction you, you don't have an "institutional action" (IA). Not having an IA should be your goal in this whole thing.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If they take institutional action does that mean it just went under review no matter what the outcome was ?

Or if they say it was not found to be in violation or if I say no contest then does that mean there was an IA

Action would be some form of punishment - presumably the school can investigate whatever they want to, it doesn't mean anything was done wrong unless their review concludes that it was a violation.

This is why you don't copy other people's work, especially copy and paste.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You know what you did/did not do.
If you did copy & paste, go for mercy.
If you are completely innocent of all wrong-doing (which you haven't said you are, so will assume you aren't) do everything possible to keep your record clean.

Your goal is to avoid a reportable action.

Reactions: 3 users
Best thing to do is tell the truth trust me. I'm on the honor council and less severe sanctions are given if you did wrong and didn't lie about it. If you've already lied about it consider that chance gone. If you are truly innocent, then you should be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Best thing to do is tell the truth trust me. I'm on the honor council and less severe sanctions are given if you did wrong and didn't lie about it. If you've already lied about it consider that chance gone. If you are truly innocent, then you should be fine.
I agree with grand master's post here.