ACADEMIC MEDICINE: DO vs MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davematthews

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone I come across in the real world, ie, doctors, residents, and med students say doesn't matter which one you are, just how good you are at what you do. I am fine going DO (I like the philosphy a lot), and know that I will get a good residency and fellowship no matter. I am not really concerned about any discrimination, because being in the Midwest and volunteering/working for years at hospitals here I really have yet to see any significant bias- except professors.
I want academic medicine, probably at an MD school because I want to raise a fam in a city environment, ie Chicago, Boston. Does anyone have info on professorship and being a DO at an allopathic university. I dont want it for the research, I want to be teaching classes and be involved in curriculum development.
Also, this question is hard to answer because in 10-15 years when I am ready to begin my career, many things will have changed by then, and many old school docs will have retired- so that even though DO representation maybe low in MD education at hospitals now, it certainly could change drastically. Any thoughts? Anyone have direct experience or can direct me to the right people?

I am a reapplicant so waiting another year may play into this.
peace

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is school dependent. Look at the UMass med school catalog though. They have tons of DOs on the faculty because of their osteopathic residency program and the exchanges with NECOM. UConn has an osteopathic residency too.

Status
Not open for further replies.