Academic Medicine in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantabdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a US citizen interested in moving to Australia to study medicine and then hopefully practice in Oz as well. I have a PhD and I am interested in a career where I can combine clinical work with research. I was wondering if there are clinicians in Australia who also have their own labs and are productive in research. Do the Royal Australasian Colleges have postgraduate tracks that cater to people interested in academic medicine?

Any information people could give me about physician scientists in Oz would be greatly appreciated :).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm a US citizen interested in moving to Australia to study medicine and then hopefully practice in Oz as well. I have a PhD and I am interested in a career where I can combine clinical work with research. I was wondering if there are clinicians in Australia who also have their own labs and are productive in research. Do the Royal Australasian Colleges have postgraduate tracks that cater to people interested in academic medicine?

Any information people could give me about physician scientists in Oz would be greatly appreciated :).

The simple answer is yes, of course. To help direct you to people to talk to I would need a bit more information on your area of interest - PhD specialty, interested medical specialty etc..

L :cool:

The faculty here at U.Sydney has strongly encouraged us to take up research as least part-time (preferably full-time) as clinicians. I actually asked (at a lecture about research opportunities for med students) if there are any specific fields that might have a stronger need for clinicians, and they said that every field would love to have us.

Members don't see this ad :)
The faculty here at U.Sydney has strongly encouraged us to take up research as least part-time (preferably full-time) as clinicians. I actually asked (at a lecture about research opportunities for med students) if there are any specific fields that might have a stronger need for clinicians, and they said that every field would love to have us.

Good call, Shan. I agree and would anticipate USyd, UQ or perhaps Melbourne would in general be your strongest options. But there are pockets of research expertise at all unis so you are best to do some inetrnet homework in your chosen field to see where the experts are.

Good call, Shan. I agree and would anticipate USyd, UQ or perhaps Melbourne would in general be your strongest options. But there are pockets of research expertise at all unis so you are best to do some inetrnet homework in your chosen field to see where the experts are.

Thanks Lyndal and Shan for your informative replies :).

Lyndal, my PhD is in Biophysics/Biochemistry...but I am interested in applying this to problems in neuroscience. I would ideally like to combine surgery with a career in research...although this could change after I finish medical school. Do you know any examples of surgeon-scientists or neurosurgeon-scientists practicing in Aus?

Thanks Lyndal and Shan for your informative replies :).

Lyndal, my PhD is in Biophysics/Biochemistry...but I am interested in applying this to problems in neuroscience. I would ideally like to combine surgery with a career in research...although this could change after I finish medical school. Do you know any examples of surgeon-scientists or neurosurgeon-scientists practicing in Aus?

Research is strongly built into the surgical training program, and in fact you require at least some experience in research (if not published papers) at the moment to be a competitive candidate to get into surgery.

Most of the major teaching hospitals have professors of surgery who are strongly into research.

Research is strongly built into the surgical training program, and in fact you require at least some experience in research (if not published papers) at the moment to be a competitive candidate to get into surgery.

Most of the major teaching hospitals have professors of surgery who are strongly into research.

Redshifteffect, thanks for your response. I was wondering if you knew if any of the professors of surgery that you know of have web sites that I might be able to look at? Thanks in advance.