Academic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlackPuma

how difficult is it to get a faculty position and teach in New York?

So if I'm interested in Internal Medicine, endocrinology for example...I will have 3 years of residency, fellowship, and does anyone what I can do to get a faculty position?

Does one have to finish the fellowship, or can you be on tenure track from residency?

Members don't see this ad.

bump...

ok, how about does anyone know how you can get tenure position at ANY school?! what's the process?

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting a tenure track position isn't terribly difficult, considering most MDs will end up in private practice. Of course, that varies by the type of institution you're going to and your specialty. What's hard is getting funding for your research interests and is the biggest killer of any academic career. That and red-tape from school administrators.

You get tenure by publishing, as is the case in just about any discipline. Some schools have separate faculties (clinical and research), so the rules might be different for clinical faculty, but I know that Hopkins does not distinguish, so if you do not do clinical or basic-science research, you must publish on medical education to get promoted.

You don't get tenure by just not going into private practice--it's as hard as any other field.

My advice to you would be to 1) talk to academic physicians at your school; 2) do research in med school (and publish); and 3) match to a residency geared towards academic medicine, perhaps one with a research year added on. Good luck!

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
You get tenure by publishing, as is the case in just about any discipline. Some schools have separate faculties (clinical and research), so the rules might be different for clinical faculty, but I know that Hopkins does not distinguish, so if you do not do clinical or basic-science research, you must publish on medical education to get promoted.

You don't get tenure by just not going into private practice--it's as hard as any other field.

My advice to you would be to 1) talk to academic physicians at your school; 2) do research in med school (and publish); and 3) match to a residency geared towards academic medicine, perhaps one with a research year added on. Good luck!

do you know which residencies are geared to academic medicine?

Generally speaking, residencies at top programs (e.g. Hopkins) are all geared toward producing academic physicians. As a rule, the strongest residency programs in each field usually have a goal of training future leaders in academic medicine.