HueySmith

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2017
Status
Medical Student
First off, I am a DO student, so my school is already lacking a well-developed research department. Second, I am not interested in doing research with my career in the future. But, I have been talking to many of my friends who are conducting research during summer and throughout the school year, and, what I got from them is that you should do research only if 1) you want a super competitive specialty, or 2) you want to do academic medicine.

I can understand doing research so you can be a competitive candidate for a lucrative specialty. But, what is the big deal with academic medicine? What are the benefits of going to an academic institution for your residency vs a community program?

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
My initial thoughts:

It depends on "what" you want to do with your degree (e.g., surgery vs. dermatology vs. family practice, vs. academic medicine, or whatever) and the "place" at which you're thinking about doing your residency (e.g., a rural hospital with lots of bread-and-butter cases or a Level 1 trauma center in the middle of a busy city, with high acuity cases).

Some residents love AMCs and others love community hospitals.

In general, AMCs provide more structured teaching opportunities (e.g., afternoon conferences), clinical research and cutting-edge research opportunities; and attendings may be leading authorities in their fields. There are more residents/attendings/fellows (to provide teaching experiences) at AMCs; and LORs from pioneering attendings or MD-PhDs at AMCs might lead to coveted fellowships, etc.

Granted, community hospitals may also provide excellent clinical opportunities, depending on the community hospital. Once again, it depends on the site as well as your chosen field, among other things.

[TL/DR: it's your choice.]

OP
H

HueySmith

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Would you need research to get into community programs located in the cities (for lower competitive specialties)?

About the Ads

LyMed

2+ Year Member
May 4, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Would you need research to get into community programs located in the cities (for lower competitive specialties)?
It wouldn't hurt. Besides, you stated you'd like to do research anyways.

Doctor-S

Grand Rounds
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2016
It's advisable to ask other individuals (e.g., residents) who have been, or who are currently working at the community hospitals (that are on your target list of community hospitals) about *what* they did at said community hospital, and if clinical research experience was/is expected at said community hospital.

At my AMCs, research is very important and strongly encouraged, and widely discussed, as well as strongly supported.

Many of the community hospitals in the area also conduct and encourage research, since many of them are also affiliated with the AMCs.

[TL/DR: feel free to be an inquisitive hospital detective and sleuth around for answers - who, what, where, how, when, and why - in connection with each hospital in which you aspire to be a future resident.]

About the Ads