SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Academic Medicine

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Crazy Carl, May 24, 2002.

1. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 4, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I'm looking for career advice. I don't have every last aspect of my medical career planned out, but I do know that I want to enter academic medicine and be a professor at a med school somewhere. I was wondering if anyone had ANY feedback about how best to approach this goal. I've always thought I would go the traditional route and get an MD, but I'm now starting to consider getting an MD/PhD. I love research now, and expect it would (necessarily) be a big part of my career. Is it better to go MSTP and get an MD/PhD, or will "just" an MD be enough? I think I would be competitive as an MSTP applicant. I'm a rising senior, but am going to wait until next year to apply and take a year off.

Also, any other thoughts on pursuing this career would be more than welcome. Thanks for your help!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster 10+ Year Member

Jun 3, 1999
    Depends on your interests in academic medicine. If you wanted to do research in the basic sciences, then I'd say go for an MSTP-type program. If you are more interested in pursuing clinical medicine, be a professor, and still do some sort of research (even simpler basic science projects would be suitable for "just an MD"), not having a PhD will not kill your career.
  4. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Most of our courses are taught by "just" MDs.
  5. vhl

vhl Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Most people who do academics do a fellowship at the end of residency; depending on the specialty, fellowships concentrate more on training in research methods, and it gives the fellows protected research time without starting the "publication" clock (most institutions you are expected to completed a certain number of papers and/or grants within a certain time frame to be considered for promotion/tenure). Some encourage their fellows to get an MPH during training (and will pay for it). There are also fellowships that offer PhDs, so the MSTP program isn't your last chance if you want to go that route. Many MSTPs end up doing almost all research, with little clinical time, and I think you have to choose your PhD discipline before you've been through clerkships and decided on a specialty. However, it would be nice to have med school paid for :) .

Good luck!