Academic Preparation For Clinical PsyD Graduate Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

West Wing

PhD in Baseball Studies
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While researching articles about preparing for graduate school in clinical psychology, it became clear to me that there were almost no articles about what preparation students should go through if they want to go into practicing clinically (as opposed to research and academia). These articles usually provide a year by year guide to what you should be doing to prepare for graduate study, but all of it is research/PhD skewed.

So I wanted to know what you think about a year by year guide for undergraduates who want to get their PsyD in clinical psychology and pursue private practice. For example, I know PsyD programs still want to see an applicant that is proficient in research, but how much research experience is necessary? Also, what other experiences can these students seek in addition to research (examples I've heard before include working for a crisis hotline, counseling young kids, working with a liscensed practing clinical psychologist, etc.) and when should they start this?

I wanted to post this because I think it will be helpful to all undergrads planning this path, but I am in this group as well, so I will post my four year "plan", so far.

Freshman - Not much. I took Psyc 101, but other than that, little activity having to do with psychology. (I was thinking of switching majors :laugh: :thumbdown: )

Sophomore (current) - This year I am getting my act together. I am taking Psych Stats, Research Methods, Intro to Lab in Psych, and Environmental Psych. In addition to classes, I am a research assistant for a lab here on campus for the year.

Junior - ???

Senior - ???

If you were me, what would you look at doing Junior and Senior year to prepare for the above path.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Edit: Also, if you have already gone through this experience, please share your undergraduate four year plan. It really helps to compare and generate ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

For a PsyD I would recommend the following:

Get clinical experience as soon as you can. Some type of internship that involves being with a clinical population. Examples such as crisis hotline, woman's shelter, psych ward in hospital, outpatient clinic, some campuses have sexual assault hotlines, suicide hotlines, etc.
If you like the research, and it doesn't interfere with your grades or a clinical internship then I would recommend continuing it. It will be good for a letter of recommendation, and overall good experience. It demonstrates that you are committed.

Year 3: Start clinical experience now if you haven't already. Remember you'll be applying in fall of year 4, and you ideally want at least a year of clinical experience. In Spring, start researching and contacting schools you potentially want to apply to. Get all your required psych classes taken, so you can relax in year 4 while you're applying and interviewing. Spring: Start studying for GRE.
Summer: Start writing practice versions of personal statement. Show them to anyone and everyone you know for input (even friends and parents can be helpful). Ideally, take GRE in summer, so you can relax during application process.
Year 4: By fall you should have all of your schools chosen. Approach professors (your clinical supervisor in your internship would be great too!) for letters of rec. Get all your applications sent out, and then relax. Take classes that interest you (it's good to take all your required classes in year 3), so you're not stressing out during the application process.

I don't know if this helps! My 4 year was as follows (so you can see that being confused about life can still work out)

Year 1: Started school at junior college. Took courses, worked full time. Just took classes that worked around work schedule.

Year 2: Starting taking premed classes, thought I wanted to be a doctor or dentist. Graduated from junior college.

Year 3: Started 4-year college; still taking premed classes. Want to be a doctor. Had to declare a major, so I declared psych since I had taken alot of those classes in year 1 & 2. In spring: Started studying for MCAT. Got internship at pediatric ER. Got internship doing research, and got internship doing clinical work. Experiences caused me to stop premed direction and go for graduate school
Summer: Chose potential schools, contacted professors. Bought GRE book, started studying.

Year 4: September: Studying for GRE, contacting schools, modifying list based on contacts. October: GRE. Narrowed down more based on GRE scores. Asked profs for letters of rec. November: Applied December: Applied

So...I had only 6 months of clinical experience, 6 months of research experience when I applied to PhD programs....and I still got in :)

I guess my point is (to anyone else reading)....it's OK not to know what you want to do by year 1 or 2...you can still make it work :)

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if any other Psy.D. could chime in?
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
West Wing said:
Thanks for the response. I was wondering if any other Psy.D. could chime in?
:thumbup:

I am currently in a PsyD program. While working on my masters (clinical mental health counseling) I worked for two years as a residential staff in a program for adults with mental ******ation and other diagnoses. My cohort in my program did similar types of work (and did not enter with masters degrees). All of my cohort had some clinical experience for at least one year (some in hospital settings, clinical mental health settings, and so on). All have also had some research experience. (I worked as a research assistant in a sleep lab). My research position was just for three months (full time for a summer).

My advice would be to get some sort of part time work in a clinical setting. Even if your studies only allow ten hours a week or so--that will add up over the course of your junior and senior years. Focus on direct care work--where you will have direct contact with a clinical population. Also, a setting that offers training opportunites (in service trainings or being able to observe grand rounds, etc.) will also benefit you. Research experience is also necessary, so getting a position as a research assistant will make you more competetive. But, in general, extensive research experience (and co-authorship, etc.) is probably not as crucial as it would be for a Ph.D. program.

Thanks for that response. I am applying to do an internship with a mentoring program that works with emotionally disturbed youth. Is this a good example of working with a clinical population? Will this help me in the eyes of PsyD programs?

bb1 said:
I am currently in a PsyD program. While working on my masters (clinical mental health counseling) I worked for two years as a residential staff in a program for adults with mental ******ation and other diagnoses. My cohort in my program did similar types of work (and did not enter with masters degrees). All of my cohort had some clinical experience for at least one year (some in hospital settings, clinical mental health settings, and so on). All have also had some research experience. (I worked as a research assistant in a sleep lab). My research position was just for three months (full time for a summer).

My advice would be to get some sort of part time work in a clinical setting. Even if your studies only allow ten hours a week or so--that will add up over the course of your junior and senior years. Focus on direct care work--where you will have direct contact with a clinical population. Also, a setting that offers training opportunites (in service trainings or being able to observe grand rounds, etc.) will also benefit you. Research experience is also necessary, so getting a position as a research assistant will make you more competetive. But, in general, extensive research experience (and co-authorship, etc.) is probably not as crucial as it would be for a Ph.D. program.

West Wing said:
Thanks for that response. I am applying to do an internship with a mentoring program that works with emotionally disturbed youth. Is this a good example of working with a clinical population? Will this help me in the eyes of PsyD programs?
I don't know much about PsyD, but I'd imagine it would depend on what you're doing. I volunteered in a classroom for adolescents with emotional problems, but I feel it would've been just as good or a better experience for someone interested in secondary education. Obviously a mentoring program isn't the same thing as a classroom, but it's something to keep in mind.