academic probation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen threads on this but not in MD DO stuff so I thought it was safe to ask. I have one semester with academic probation(bad grades that one semester) but many others with deans list,etc I was wondering how much this would effect me? I have done post-bac work and it was in my undergrad, just seeing how schools see this, is it possible to get passed?

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen threads on this but not in MD DO stuff so I thought it was safe to ask. I have one semester with academic probation(bad grades that one semester) but many others with deans list,etc I was wondering how much this would effect me? I have done post-bac work and it was in my undergrad, just seeing how schools see this, is it possible to get passed?
It is possible to get past it. It doesn't look good, obviously, and as it is a form of IA, you have to report it, but just like any other negative aspect to your application, demonstrating a reversal of your academic record with consistency can overcome it. I have an academic probation *and* an academic suspension listed in the IA section of my app.

It is possible to get past it. It doesn't look good, obviously, and as it is a form of IA, you have to report it, but just like any other negative aspect to your application, demonstrating a reversal of your academic record with consistency can overcome it. I have an academic probation *and* an academic suspension listed in the IA section of my app.
i am glad to hear it can be overcome. I dont have very good stats with undergrad in reguard to GPA which is why I am doing post-bac so I hope even with that added downfall I can still get in somewhere:)

i am glad to hear it can be overcome. I dont have very good stats with undergrad in reguard to GPA which is why I am doing post-bac so I hope even with that added downfall I can still get in somewhere:)

For those of us that dug ourselves a hole early in our undergraduate careers, we have to be particularly superlative in our later efforts. What that means for your success is that you have to be better than the vast majority of applicants in all aspects of you application, including your postbacc grades, your MCAT score, and your ECs. By how much specifically you need to excel now depends on precisely how poorly you did initially.

Best of luck to you!