Academic Program: if you had to do it over again, comm vs academic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgical06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm just finishing out my intern year, at the begining i was so happy w/ my choice in academic surgery, but in retrospect and talking with others in community programs, i'm wondering if community serves one better. than an academic center; especially , your busier places ; heavy trauma/icu and specialty services.

i'm hearing of second years running their own rooms for gallbladders and appys.......
i guess i wanna say i'm feeling behind and overworked. maybe because i'm on vacation this month and am thinking too much:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

it varies per person. if you were happy with you choice of an academic place at the beginning then you will probably like it at the end. 1st and 2nd yr may be kind of painful. but from third yr on you will be very happy. the hard work you put in 1st and 2nd yr will pay off in the end.

I chose an academic program and even though the intern year sucked, it's cool to watch and sometimes do things that aren't done at a community hospital. Being at an academic hospital is like getting a liberal arts education. You are exposed to a wide variety of different cases that expand your perspective of surgery, and allows you the opportunity to find a niche that interests you. Being at a community hospital is like going to ITT tech. Both have its benefits and drawbacks, and it's up to each resident to figure out what type of training they want. Volume and repetition within a narrow scope allowing for sharpened skill, vs broad exposure and complexity with less refined technical skill.

Members don't see this ad :)
went to academic program for medical school
as a resident im in a community program

both have benefits and drawbacks

academic
pro-dedication to education, structure
con-dont operate much early, bad intern year

community
pro-operate alot as an intern, more laid back
con-BAD teaching and dedication to education, less autonomy as chief, wayy too much drama

in the end, i sometimes wish that i was ina more academic program, and im trying my hardest to make it more that way, but im not holding my breath, it wont change

Being at a community hospital is like going to ITT tech. Both have its benefits and drawbacks, and it's up to each resident to figure out what type of training they want. Volume and repetition within a narrow scope allowing for sharpened skill, vs broad exposure and complexity with less refined technical skill.

Well, that's the most ignorant thing I've read today, and that's saying alot because I've been playing on SDN for 30 minutes.

went to academic program for medical school
as a resident im in a community program

both have benefits and drawbacks

academic
pro-dedication to education, structure
con-dont operate much early, bad intern year

community
pro-operate alot as an intern, more laid back
con-BAD teaching and dedication to education, less autonomy as chief, wayy too much drama

in the end, i sometimes wish that i was ina more academic program, and im trying my hardest to make it more that way, but im not holding my breath, it wont change

Well I think you and I are more qualified to speak on this subject since we've experienced both. I also went to an academic program for med school, and rotated through 2 other academic programs. I then matched at a community program where I currently am training.

I'm sure that there are some stereotypes that hold true, but as far as a dedication to teaching/education and a structured curriculum, I find that my current program is way more dedicated to this than the other two academic programs I have experienced.

Maybe it's just the accumulation of multiple posts in different threads, but I'm getting sick of people in academic programs with no community experience telling me what my program is like.

I think that the academic centers need to try to incorporate some private hospitals into the mix so residents can get some high volume bread and butter surgery in and where interns can make it to the operating room. I think people would agree that good training would be mixing the best of academic and of private hospital training programs.

The stereotypes about academic programs are not necessarily accurate either. I got much more autonomy at the community program sites we rotated to and much more teaching than I did at any academic hospital.

The stereotypes about academic programs are not necessarily accurate either. I got much more autonomy at the community program sites we rotated to and much more teaching than I did at any academic hospital.
honestly, i donmt think it really matters academic vs community
no matter where you go, if the structure is not set up for and the attednings dont buyinto chief automony, early operative experience and good resident teaching, then it wont happen

honestly, i donmt think it really matters academic vs community
no matter where you go, if the structure is not set up for and the attednings dont buyinto chief automony, early operative experience and good resident teaching, then it wont happen

Yup, attending buy-in is key: whether its for teaching, work hours or general atmosphere.

Having rotated through 2 community programs, 2 academic programs, and having talked to residents or attendings from probably >50 programs in my travels from all sorts of programs (either by interviewing there, having their residents interview at my fellowship program, or having their students come to my residency program, or talking with people at meetings), I have to reinforce that either type program can provide amazing training or crummy training. The attending and resident culture can make or break a program.

I've seen community programs that graduate people with dozens of whipples. I've seen at least one community program where they each did >100 lap choles and that constitutes >10% of their case loads. I've seen academic programs with some rotations that the attendings are nearly absent in some settings (e.g. VA's and "ward services") to ones where the chief better call the attending to blow his/her nose. Sometimes those are even in the same program. I remember rotating with a community surgeon who didn't let you even touch the knife on a carotid because he was so worried about complications, but the same surgeon let you do a open AAA basically skin to skin with minimal assistance.

Common threads that mark high quality programs:

Enough operating, but not too overwhelming so you don't have time to read and focus on cases (I'd say between 850-1200 cases is the sweet spot): I find that programs that are county based (often considered to be academic) and those that are at very busy community hospitals tend to suffer from too many cases. Some academic centers, however, suffer from too few cases (this is not as often the case in community based programs, as they tend to have fewer residents and fewer non-operative rotations in my experience), however exceptions abound. I've seen operative intern case loads at academic hospitals vary from as low as 60 to as high as 200, sometimes even in the same program as luck of the draw definitely plays a part.

Operating on the right type of cases: You need a program that provides a mix of low intensity and high intensity cases. The median number of whipples that people graduated used to be 0 or 1, that has risen now slightly, but it still makes the point. You want to be able to do high end cases so you can bail yourself out of problems when they arise. Higher end academic programs tend to have higher numbers of "tough" cases like liver resections, pancreatic resections, sarcoma resections, etc. but I have seen some select community programs that have tons of these floating around and some academic programs that don't. The common thread for those that do, is that the hospital tend to be the "big dog" of their neighborhood. Those that don't have to refer patients out and have patients referred to them, tend to accumulate the tough cases. Having been on the receiving end of patient transfers from places that have residents, I know it is frustrating for them to have to send the good case to the University hospital, but they don't have staff that can do it with them. When they are done, they will have to do the same thing because they never learned how to do those cases

Good case variety: You might think that doing little cases over and over again is worthwhile, and it is, but not at the detriment of losing the big cases. Doing 100 lap choles can be fun, but it is more nerve wracking if you know that you can't do a hepatico-jejunostomy if needed. For the interns, it is analogous to when you start doing central lines, before you really feel comfortable putting a chest tube in. I know that I definitely relaxed more when I knew I could fix the potential complications without having to call for help. Also, bigger non-inbred programs tend to give you multiple ways to do the same thing (the bigger toolbox as it were). I have noticed recently that in some programs, the residents only learn one way of doing things, which means if that way fails... watch out. In talking with residents, the art of sewing seems to be declining nationwide as stapled anastomoses/advanced energy devices such as the harmonic scalpel and ligasure become more commonplace. Most residents now will never do a tissue repair for inguinal hernia, although being able to do one is essential for contaminated strangulated hernias. It's nice to have someone who is "old school" at your program that forces you to learn these techniques. This can occur in both community and academic settings.

Graduated autonomy for the residents. In our very academic residency it was not uncommon for our 2nd and 3rd year resident to take an intern through a hernia or a chief take a junior resident (2nd or 3rd yr) through a colon with the attending either sitting in the corner of the room or holding retractors when at the VA. As a 4th yr on Trauma, you would often take 2nd years through burn cases and trach/G-tubes and lap choles. I would do endoscopies and minor procedures (seb. cysts/ lipomas/ etc.) totally solo (e.g. not even sure who to assign in my case log) as a 2nd or 3rd year not uncommonly. These teaching cases and solo cases are going away though in no small part due to the work hour restrictions and increasing mandates by the government for attendings to be present for cases. I think this has higher potential to occur in academic settings, and private attendings tend to be more "attached" to their patients, so they are less willing to step back. However, some of the most retentive surgeons I've ever met have been at academic programs, so take that for what you will. You don't want to be by yourself before you are ready, but you don't want someone breathing down your neck once you are.

A focus on keeping up with the latest developments: Here I think academic programs have the opportunity to shine on the patient management and work-up side since the attendings tend to be more up to date with guidelines. This has to be balanced with the fact that new procedures/technologies that pay well or provide an advertising advantage (e.g. mammosite/ultrasound in breast, laparoscopic surgery in GI) seem to spread faster to clinically focused programs. On the other hand, one of my partners who was giving grand rounds at a community hospital actually recently had an argument with an attending at that hospital who claimed that core needle biopsies of breast lesions were never needed and they should all go to excisional biopsy right away. :eek:

In summary, look for the things above and don't get hung up on whether the hospital is called a university hospital and in general you won't go wrong. Obviously if you want to be an attending at Hopkins, you are going to have a hard time getting that job from podunk community hospital without passing through a great fellowship, but if you are just thinking about education alone, it's the place, not the name that makes it the right program for you.

Reactions: 1 user
In summary, look for the things above and don't get hung up on whether the hospital is called a university hospital and in general you won't go wrong. Obviously if you want to be an attending at Hopkins, you are going to have a hard time getting that job from podunk community hospital without passing through a great fellowship, but if you are just thinking about education alone, it's the place, not the name that makes it the right program for you.

Extremely insightful and helpful post. Thank you, Surg.

Well, that's the most ignorant thing I've read today, and that's saying alot because I've been playing on SDN for 30 minutes.

Well I think you and I are more qualified to speak on this subject since we've experienced both. I also went to an academic program for med school, and rotated through 2 other academic programs. I then matched at a community program where I currently am training.

I'm sure that there are some stereotypes that hold true, but as far as a dedication to teaching/education and a structured curriculum, I find that my current program is way more dedicated to this than the other two academic programs I have experienced.

Maybe it's just the accumulation of multiple posts in different threads, but I'm getting sick of people in academic programs with no community experience telling me what my program is like.

I bet you're one of those loonies that still thinks that people who kill step one, and make good preclinical grades, do well in clinical medicine. All those nerds are destined to suck at patient interaction. :D

Take my word for it. I read it in the med student forums. ;)