Academic research or industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malkuri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, ex-lurker here. Please be merciful!

I have a burning question that I couldn't find an answer for by searching. I just recently graduated with a BS in bioengineering, but I'm not applying to med school yet. My numbers are weak - I'm hoping to get into a SMP for the '07-'08 school year. But there's a year between now and then, and I was wondering what to do during that year in order to strengthen my application. I thought of two things:

1. Academic research - I've done a year of research before but didn't enjoy it, but I figure if I do research full-time I'll get something more out of it. I also need some better letters of rec, so I hope this nets one.

2. Medical device industry - I suppose this is medically relevant, but it probably wouldn't count as clinical or research experience. However, unlike academic research, I will actually get paid (although I'm not in any dire need of money)

What should I do? I'm leaning towards (1) but it makes me cringe to think of spending a whole year as an unpaid lab slave. And I wonder what adcomms think of industry work...

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If the thought of research for an entire year makes you "cringe" why not just go with option number two. Research for an entire year wont make that much of a difference especially if you already have experience. Besides you will gain valuable experience working and it will make you a more unique applicant in the eyes of admissions committies in my oppinion.

Don't do anything, especially for an entire year, that makes you cringe just because you think adcoms might like it. That being said, I'm sure you could spin a job in the medical device industry into personal statement and interview gold. Who knows, it might even stand out from the average premed benchwork.

The NIH has a variety of programs for post bac students- the one-year IRTA fellowship is heavy duty lab stuff, but you end up getting GREAT lab experience and get paid around 2 grand a month. Not a bad deal. You just have to get in.