Academic Suspension; should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmd0418

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 20 year old, sophomore/junior who transferred to a Texas university from community college. I have retaken chemistry for the second time and failed it so I've been placed on academic suspension. My major is biology, and I haven't even began taking any of my bio courses. I'm a first generation student so I work at least 30 hours a week during school which interfere a lot with my studies. Is there any hope for me? Should I just give up? Being a doctor is really the only thing I want to do so I don't know how to move forward from here..

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen plenty of fine candidates come back from worse situations.

The first order of priority is learning time mgt skills. Go visit your school's learning or education center for this. Tehy can also help you with academics.

As you are working, you have to realize that you can't got o school full time. So, go as a part time student, and realize that you're int his for the long haul.

Retake all F/D/C science coursework.

Strong academic performance from now on will allay any concerns about your suspension and the reasons for it.

Another route is to simply lay off school for awhile, work full time, save up the money, and then go to school.

IF you are Mexican-American, you're a URM, and your chances are easier for med school. But you still need to show Adcoms that you can handle med school.

I'm a 20 year old, sophomore/junior who transferred to a Texas university from community college. I have retaken chemistry for the second time and failed it so I've been placed on academic suspension. My major is biology, and I haven't even began taking any of my bio courses. I'm a first generation student so I work at least 30 hours a week during school which interfere a lot with my studies. Is there any hope for me? Should I just give up? Being a doctor is really the only thing I want to do so I don't know how to move forward from here..

Reactions: 1 user
Is academic suspension an IA? I did a search and saw many posts on probation and being drunk but not on suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile