Academic update after horrible semester? ur sage advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preparedman09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have interview on jan 12th for pharmacy school, however, my fall semester grades are horrible( no Fs but still horrible). Not representative of me at all. None of these classess are pre-requisite for the school I will interview at. Do you guys suggest that I wait unitl after my interview is done ( I have until feb 2nd to update the grades) OR update the results before the interview. I am thinking that they have enough course work to evaluate my academic performance from what I've submitted so far. And I was dealing with several family and personal issues this fall semester and I don't think it would be fair if I am denied a position due to this semester grade due to downward grade trend. Is it frowned upon not updating right away? Thank u guys I need your help, especially, if u r an adcom member.

Thank u
merry x-mass

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
since they are not prereqs, i don't see any point in sending them unless the school specifically asks for them from you. Just wait until you get accepted!:D

I was taking 2 computer science classes this fall semester and ended up dropping both with a W. I just got accepted to pharmacy school. I don't these classes will affect me since they are not prereqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was taking 2 computer science classes this fall semester and ended up dropping both with a W. I just got accepted to pharmacy school. I don't these classes will affect me since they are not prereqs.

I greatly appreciate your advice. However, the classes I took were higher level science classess that are essential in pharmacy school. Plus may be your interview was before the academic update period. But thank you for sharing your experience.

just a question for those that can answer it. It says in the Academic Update Instructions to delete any "Planned/In Progress" courses that you did not complete. So do I delete the 2 courses I ended up with W on? I dropped out of the classes with a W so does that mean I did not complete it, therefore I delete the courses as though I never took them? Or do I enter the W's in for those 2 courses and submit it? Thanks.

just a question for those that can answer it. It says in the Academic Update Instructions to delete any "Planned/In Progress" courses that you did not complete. So do I delete the 2 courses I ended up with W on? I dropped out of the classes with a W so does that mean I did not complete it, therefore I delete the courses as though I never took them? Or do I enter the W's in for those 2 courses and submit it? Thanks.

you should enter the Ws. This is what I got for you from PharmCAS website
"You are required to enter ALL of the courses you completed and attempted at every institution you attended. You MUST include all repeated, failed, and withdrawn courses. If you do not enter every course listed on your official transcripts, your application will be returned to you for corrections and you may miss important school deadlines."

Last edited:
A withdrawal shouldn't be that harmful if you have a valid reason for withdrawing. Financial, personal, etc is justifiable. Tanking the class isn't. And as for the OP, if you update before or after the interview it likely won't matter, since they will be considering your application after the interview and a decision probably won't be made until later on. Also, a lie by omission is still a lie, and if you don't inform the school(s) you're interested in about your courses, and they find out, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be rejected.

A withdrawal shouldn't be that harmful if you have a valid reason for withdrawing. Financial, personal, etc is justifiable. Tanking the class isn't. And as for the OP, if you update before or after the interview it likely won't matter, since they will be considering your application after the interview and a decision probably won't be made until later on. Also, a lie by omission is still a lie, and if you don't inform the school(s) you're interested in about your courses, and they find out, I can pretty much guarantee you'll be rejected.

I greatly appreciate your insight. If my not reporting on time is considered some sort of lie or unethical, I will go ahead and apdate it right away. I will actually make my decision based on the feedback on this forum. So, please, other sdner be generouse with ur advice. thanx

I greatly appreciate your insight. If my not reporting on time is considered some sort of lie or unethical, I will go ahead and apdate it right away. I will actually make my decision based on the feedback on this forum. So, please, other sdner be generouse with ur advice. thanx

I think that if it is a pre-req course that you are updating with grades... then I would advise you to academic update on PharmCas. However, I finished all my prereqs last year will not be updating because I think its just a waste of money/hassle and tempered also by the fact that I have already been accepted to school. The only thing that I would be doing would be mailing my transcripts from my college at the end of this school year to the college that I am going to.

Has anyone got rejected in the past because of a poor showing of fall semester grades?

This is a personal decision. I don't know if I would go as far to say unethical as it is just misleading. Maybe I'm splitting hairs on this, but if you choose to not report the semester, then so be it. I'm sure plenty of people have done so in the past.

If you end up having to send in your following semesters grades though, this semester will be on that transcript as well. If you've completed all of your pre-reqs and you know they wont ask for another transcript, you may be fine. You are the one that will be on pins and needles until the day you actually start pharmacy school though.

I don't think it is unethical to wait to update your grades until after the interview. The school says you need to do it by Feb 2 and that is what you will be doing. If they ask about your fall grades, don't lie but I know I'd rather be spending that valuable interview time talking about all the great reasons why I'd be a great pharmacist rather than my poor grades in the fall. If they think it is super important to know, they will ask in the interview and then you will need to explain it. If they don't ask, then there is no need to dwell on it.