Academic vs. Community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tamugreg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to pose a question that will hopefully bring some interesting debate.

I'm a 4th year med student currently applying to residencies acrross the country. I plan to complete residency then obtain my MBA either right out of residency or after a few years of working. In either case, I will elect to go back for the MBA full-time, so as not to delay the process.

Here is my question: as my rank-list is due in the coming weeks, I am finding it difficult to decide as to whether going to a training program that is highly academic (associated with a university) vs. going to a community-based program is a better choice for my career goals. There are obviously vast differences in the training programs in terms of case-load, call schedules, etc. however in the eyes of future employers (either as an employee or consultant), is there a difference to them where I choose to do my training?

I would greatly appreciate any insight you may have into this question.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My own personal feeling is if you have no interest or plans to even potentially go into academic medicine (whether you get an MBA or not), go into a community-based general surgery program.

My personal feelings are that even if you go into academics in an MBA administrative capacity, it would be to your advantage to go into a university-based training program. Rationale being if you go about telling physicians what to do as an administrator, they generally will respond much more positively if you went through a well-respected university-based training program. I speak from my own personal experience having gone through a general surgery program at Duke.

I'm sure others on this form will have other opinions on this.

That’s a great question and I am interested in seeing the coming responses.

I personally feel that it depends upon how certain you are that you will be entering business as well as which medicine you would practice “if” you end up staying in medicine.

If you are not 100% certain that you are going to be taking the business route, I would choose the program as if you were staying in medicine. In other words, if you think there is a good possibility that you will stay in medicine you should figure out which type of medicine you will be pursuing be it, private practice, fellowship, academia, MPH and choose a residency based on that.

If you are 100% certain that you will be transitioning into business, I would choose a community program so that you dont burn out and leave your resiedncy early. resiecny is daunting and painful. It will make you consider your choice over and over again based upon the torture you endure.

Aggernodi...how did you know he wants gen surg?

Members don't see this ad :)
I could have sworn he/she mentioned gen surg in the initial quote...

Regardless, I would imagine my comments would apply even in medicine.

If he/she went into a small, private community based internal medicine program, got an MBA, and now is pursuing administrative duties at University of Pennsylvannia or some other large tertiary, university-based program, I have to think they physicians in such programs would not respond as well as if he/she trained at Brigham & Women's or UCLA or some other top-ranked program.

i originally had posted a mention about general surgery but since i'm in the process of applying for residency, trying to maintain a little anonymity.

thank you for the replys, and i find your point about career choice a significant factor to consider. while i am nearly certain that i will be going into private practice if i choose to stay in medicine. that being said, i am reading more and more about consulting firms seeking docs in academics because they are likely closer to the evolving thought at the forefront of research.

as far as the burning out in residency, that too is an important factor that i ahve been trying to weigh against perhaps a more well-respected univ-based program. and i also agree with the point that attendings at academic center may not have your respect as an administration after having trained at a less well-known community program. but on the flip side, the difference in residencies would be great, both in call schedule and time out of the hospital.

thanks again for your input and i look forward to more responses