Academic vs non-academic 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc1401

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to gauge opinions on academic vs non academic psychiatry jobs specifically for this year and next year. It appears that the salary discrepency between academia and private hospitals has become even greater. I hear of some faculty members wanting to leave academics but feel stuck because in one way because they are comfortable with 45 min- one hour time slots for patients (among other things).

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a rock and roll star, the best feathered beds are in academics. If you are not, the lowest paying slave labor jobs are in academics. If you like money, the best paying slave labor jobs are everywhere.

Reactions: 3 users
As I do forensic expert witnesses work I stay away from the mcjobs where you see more than 12 a day. I had a job where I saw about 8 a week..yes a week. Currently see about 6 a day (minus the temporary extra coverage). I plan on getting a med director job next with low pt volume and it will be a good addition to my CV as an expert witness. I am surprised more don't do expert work as it is interesting and happens to pay well. In the next few years a part time job maybe a possibility due to the growing practice. I enjoy seeing patients but enjoyment drops rapidly after 6 or 7 patients.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you like money, the best paying slave labor jobs are everywhere.

This is partially true, high paying high volume jobs ARE available just about everywhere. However, this gives you some negotiating power. You don't have to see 20 patients/day if you don't want to, and you can still be paid reasonably well. I am leaving a job where I am seeing 20 per day for one that pays more and will max out at 14 per day. The benefits are better, and there is more vacation time too. For me, this is a worthwhile change.

Reactions: 1 user
I think MacDonaldTriad nailed it. If there is a compelling reason to be in academics (research or a love of teaching) then the salary dip might be worth it. You also get perks like library access for journals and community events like grand rounds and M&M. Otherwise, non academic jobs are the way to go. Consider a non academic job with volunteer or affiliate faculty status at a local medical school as a nice in-between.

Another option is to find a low volume academic job and do outside work. Just be careful what the restrictions are for outside work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I do a government job that pays well and is affiliated with a medical school/residency. Its a nice in between.

In our area the gap between academia and private practice actually seems to be closing. The salaries aren't as disparate as they have been in the past - at least that's what others tell me. There's still a difference, of course - as much as 50% in terms of starting salary depending on the positions being compared - but that obviously comes with a significantly more workload. But at my home department, at least, the leadership seem to be recognizing that a love for teaching and research is not sufficient to take such a ridiculous pay cut and have responded accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user
What are some non-academic jobs for someone who has obtained a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology.