ACADEMIC VS PP COMING OUT OF FELLOWSHIP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope2bnmd!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm half way through my pain fellowship and am facing a dilemma as far as what type of career to pursue. I have the opportunity to go into an academic setting where I will be teaching fellows, light schedule, great lifestyle etc. My concern is going into that type of setting right after fellowship. I feel like after a 1 yr fellowship you need some time to practice on your own, get your hands on a high volume procedures before you can start teaching fellows. Technically if you haven't mastered the procedural side (rarely done after 1 yr of fellowship) of the field should you really be teaching others? My concern with private practice setting is joining a practice where things aren't fair. where lifestyle is compromised--and although you may work harder not seeing the fruits of your labor. I do feel that private practice will allow me to be more hands on with everything and learn first hand. I am worried that once i enter an easy academic based job, i may "pigeonhole" myself, where a transition to another job in private practice may be difficult since i won't be accustomed to the volume/environment/etc. would appreciate any possible feedback. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can absolutely go from pp to academics and vice versa easily. Do what makes you happy. If high volume will help you develop better skills, do it in pp. If academics will give you better opportunity with acceptable pay, do it. You are absolutely right to think that going the pp route is a HUGE gamble to not get screwed.

Reactions: 1 user
Get real world experience before going back "in the bubble." Learn how to run a business, hire & fire people, and negotiate. It is also possible to remain involved in research activities in a private practice setting and enjoy the best of both worlds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic practice has many wonderful qualities, but it will not teach you how to be a high-volume proceduralist. You just can't go as fast in most academic centers as you can in private practice.

If one were to start in academics after fellowship, in later years - would private practices steer away from hiring an academic for concern that that physician would not be able to handle a high volume?

If one were to start in academics after fellowship, in later years - would private practices steer away from hiring an academic for concern that that physician would not be able to handle a high volume?
Absolutely not. I know plenty of guys who went from academics right out of fellowship and then used it as a stepping stone to private practice. They used it as a resume builder "Former Assistant Professor at University of ______". Get's them the in for local TV spots for free advertising.

Not necessarily concern over handling high volume, per se, but uncertainty over how you'll react to the change in scenery.

do academics to start, pay up debts, then, after all is settled and one knows where healthcare is going, and learns some of the nuance of private practice... go open up your own private practice.

do academics to start, pay up debts, then, after all is settled and one knows where healthcare is going, and learns some of the nuance of private practice... go open up your own private practice.

when is that going to be?

Reactions: 1 users
I had some co fellows who went into academics for a year or two to improve their procedural skills then PP