• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

DMO

Diving Medical Officer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
!
Visit site
Status
I think those are the 3 branches of medicine. Anyways, what branch are you going into? and why?

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
CLINICAL!!!

1 year in research has been enough . . . I can't stand it anymore! I could be down with working in a teaching hospital and spending some time teaching the med students and residents that come through my department. No way I am teaching classes though!

About the Ads

elias514

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
Status
Private practice--very high earning potential, no significant research obligations, get to focus almost entirely on the outcomes of my patients

Why not research or academic?
research--SUCKS (if I wanted to become a researcher I would have pursued just a PhD)
academic--don't want to worry about my underlings (med students, interns, and residents) screwing something up, because I'm the one that would get sued; pay isn't that great relative to private practice; "publish or perish" sucks ass

tbo

MS-4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Why not do them all? Academic clinical research :)

I'm hoping this summer I can do exactly that--right now I work at a pharmaceutical company doing clinical research. Shoot for the stars, folks.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2003
www.studentdoctor.net
Status
MD/PhD Student
tbo said:
Why not do them all? Academic clinical research :)

I'm hoping this summer I can do exactly that--right now I work at a pharmaceutical company doing clinical research. Shoot for the stars, folks.
exactly! :cool:

Seaglass

Quantum Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Winston Salem, NC
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Yeah, in practice it doesn't break down that cleanly. There are many doctors in community (non-academic) hospitals that are doing research, and many faculty at academic institutions are doing a lot of clinical work along with their research. You can do all of it if you want to.

C

About the Ads