• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

academically dismissed/low GPA... is there any hope for me?

dptlee

5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2015
  1. Pre-Physical Therapy
    I was kicked out of a UC campus in the Spring quarter of my second year in 2013 as a human biology major. I had three consecutive quarters w/ a quarter GPA lower than a 2.0.

I immediately attended a cc for a year where I got a 4.0. I got accepted back into UC in the Fall of 2014. I changed my major to human development and decided I wanted to get into PT. Since I've been back, I raised my cumulative gpa to a 2.69 (not including my cc gpa). I've taken 6 classes so far since being readmitted and got 4 A's, 1 A-, and 1 B.

I've fulfilled about half of the pre-reqs for most schools I'm interested in and got an A for each of the classes. I've been a hospice volunteer for about a year and just started as a volunteer in a PT dept. I'm only part of 2 organizations on campus and held an officer position for one of them in the past.

I'm not graduating until Winter 2016 and will most likely spend another year in a cc trying to raise my gpa and then additional year on top of that to save money. I'm really worried about not getting in to any school bc I got kicked out and don't have much extra curricular activities. Is it even worth trying to get into PT school for me? What else can I do to improve my chances of getting into PT school? Does anyone know of people who got academically disqualified during undergrad and got into a dpt program?

Last edited:

ptdude66

5+ Year Member
    Jan 4, 2015
    1. Pre-Physical Therapy
      Focus on getting a solid pre-req and hopefully your cumulative gpa will get better too. Believe me there are many people in this forum with situations just as yours as well as mine. I graduate with a 2.7, but will have raised my gpa to about a 3.1 for this next cycle from CC classes

About the Ads

DesertPT

7+ Year Member
      Apr 22, 2013
      1. Physical Therapist
        If your cGPA from all your college coursework is above a 3.0 you will at least be eligible to apply to pretty much any school. Search the forums for threads regarding what to do about low GPA, this has been addressed thoroughly on numerous occasions and there is a lot of great advice out there.

Reactions: 1 user

starrsgirl

7+ Year Member
        Oct 5, 2010
        1. Physical Therapist
          It's possible! Keep working hard. I graduated with a dismal 2.5 undergrad and a few academic probation letters. Stay on your great trend. Fight for every A, start doing observation hours.

Reactions: 1 user
          About the Ads
          This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.