Academics or private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new thread to debate the merits of an academic career vs. private practice. It's too early to decide, of course, but it definitely comes into play when making out your ROL. And if you do want to do academics, are you interested in setting up your own lab, or focusing more on diagnostic work and teaching with some clinical research on the side?

Personally, I think I'd prefer academics to private practice - the added variety with teaching and research appeals to me. I'm afraid I'd get bored in private practice, particularly if I worked in a send-out lab separate from a hospital and had little interaction with clinicians.
I'm not sure how much basic research I want to end up doing, though... I love the innovation and intellectual challenge of research, but I'm working in a lab now to try out the day-to-day basic science work and I have to admit I'm finding it tedious.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Private practice is for me.

Pros:
Can work in smaller towns.
A little less red tape and politics than academics.
Alot more money.
More vacation time.
A jack of all trades job vs academics.
Little to no research.

Cons:
Hours and workload can be heavier.
Little teaching (in private practice you will be expected to do some just not like academics)
Will not get the large variety of cases as a big Univ.

I wouldn't work in a send out lab seperate from a hospital. Those jobs are the worst.