Academy of General Dentistry convention - Anaheim, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drPheta

Some random guy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are any students here going to the Academy of General Dentistry convention in Anaheim this summer? Am I the only student (on SDN) who's going?

Members don't see this ad.

drPheta said:
Are any students here going to the Academy of General Dentistry convention in Anaheim this summer? Am I the only student (on SDN) who's going?

Is tufts paying for your airfare and hotel?

Yup, it's all expenses paid.

Members don't see this ad :)
drPheta said:
Yup, it's all expenses paid.

WOW. I was just joking. How'd you pull that off??

:eek:

The MA/Academy of Gen Dentistry was holding a contest to invite one Mass dental student an all expenses paid trip to the convention. Enter a 400 word essay on what you feel is an important issue in dentistry, and the mentoring committee decides who goes. So, I guess Tufts isn't paying for it, but the MA/AGD is.

Apparently, they rotate between the schools (Tufts, BU, Havard), and no one from Tufts won in about 4 years. So, I was told that we had a slightly better advantage this year over the other schools. So, I entered. Not passing up an opportunity for free CE and Disneyland.

Hey people...

anyone know of a conference which I can attend in July 2004 somewhere on the east coast.....I am coming to the US in July for my Part I and want to get hold of a conf....helps in 2 ways......#1)Expenses will be tax-deductible here in India.....#2)At the port of entry....don't want them to suspect me of anything.....

so if you all know of any conf/CE program somwhere on the east coast not too costly please let me know....NYU has one which costs USD 1500...thats too much......the perio convention in Boston is 600 USD......so pls help me out..........thanks......

I'll be in Anaheim in July... I have not looked at the CE course listing yet though. Going to big meetings (GNYDM, Mid-Winter in Chicago,) is like attending a carnival. Retail "hecklers" abound soliciting attendees for a shred of attention ($$.)

1jenn32 said:
I'll be in Anaheim in July... I have not looked at the CE course listing yet though. Going to big meetings (GNYDM, Mid-Winter in Chicago,) is like attending a carnival. Retail "hecklers" abound soliciting attendees for a shred of attention ($$.)

Sweet, I was hoping I wouldn't be the only student there.

Do we have to be a student to come?
Do incoming students count?

I just found out yesterday that I'm the only student who gets this expenses paid trip to the convention. Massachusetts is the only state that sponsors a dental student to attend the convention.

Here are the details:
-The AGD (Acad of General Dent) is there to promote continuing education amongs practicing dentists.
-It is not something that was intended for students, however they allow anyone in dentistry to attend (i.e students and dentists alike), and you don't have to be a member of the AGD (it just costs more for non members).
-The convention holds an exhibit (much like the Yankee Dental Congress but much smaller), CE courses, an evening ball, and changes its location every year. Last year it was in Nashville, TN. This year it's in Anaheim, CA, and next year I think is Washington, DC.
-The great thing about the convention is it is a nice way to allow practicing general dentists to network and learn from others who are very interested in continuing education and good at what they do. It's all about trying to keep the dentist up to date on what works, what's new, who's there, etc.

For the student who gets selected by the Mass AGD, they get to experience this event for free. Hotel, food and travel is paid for (and Disneyland this year). In addition, they pay for one hands-on CE course of your choice, they pay for your membership to the AGD for your 2nd, 3rd and 4th years of dental school. You publish an article in the Yankee Dentist about the convention the fall of your 2nd year, and during your 4th year they hold a seminar on transitioning to private practice for you and 20 of your friends.

I think the best part of this trip will be the hands-on CE course that I get to attend as well as the networking with other GPs.

So really, I'm the only student expected to be there, but I'm sure some dentists who have children in dental school took them along, as well.

I haven't been to the event yet, since it's this summer. But, I do know that this type of opportunity will only come every so often during your dental school career. This is why I highly recommend those Massachusetts dental students to enter this contest their first year (held by MA/AGD and open only to first years). I was surprised to see the mentoring committee select me, because I know a couple of students in my class who applied and thought they would've been chosen.

If you guys are interested in more info on the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) go here:
http://www.agd.org/index.html

For info on the annual meeting, look on the left bar of that site for "Annual Meeting"