Accelerated Nursing Undergrad to Medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shroomz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone done an accelerated nursing program as a second undergrad and applied to medical school after? Please don't give me a lecture on how doing nursing is not a good idea if I really want to be a doctor. I would really appreciate if someone who has done this could share their experience.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Will you have to do 'another' post-bacc? I feel like you could make the argument that when you made the switch from whatever to healthcare, you didn't realize that you really wanted to be in a physician's role. I feel like some well-chosen DO schools might be more open to this. Just start getting involved with shadowing a DO right away.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously, why do that? Adcoms might look down on you (I know I would. Leave those seats for people that actually want them).

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, why do that? Adcoms might look down on you (I know I would. Leave those seats for people that actually want them).

What are you talking about? Wanting to have a secure plan B doesn't mean I don't "want" to be a doctor.

What are you talking about? Wanting to have a secure plan B doesn't mean I don't "want" to be a doctor.

He means that the adcoms may think you should have left the nursing seat to someone who actually wanted it.

ADCOMS looking on down on you is a freaking MYTH. Maybe 10 years ago they did. But in this age and age they are looking for people with direct patient contact. Nursing gives you a lot of that. If your reason for pursuing a career in medicine is solid than nursing is a beast of an EC.

If that's the case, couldn't you just apply to one of these programs after not getting into medical school? (Assuming you have to resort to plan B)

If that's the case, couldn't you just apply to one of these programs after not getting into medical school? (Assuming you have to resort to plan B)

Because I'd have to wait another year/couple of months after my medical school rejection before I could matriculate into a nursing program. Don't want to waste time.

Look, nursing school is competitive and many people are on wait-lists for years. I am friends with people that waited 3 years before getting in. It is selfish to take that spot to boost your MD application. Apply MD, if you don't get in then you can pursue nursing without screwing anyone over.

The medical students I know that are nurses all had at least a couple years working in the field before they came to medical school. I personally don't know anyone that came straight through nursing school to med school.

You will need to know how to answer the question "why do you want to attend medical school when you are just finishing your nursing degree". You will be asks that a lot so be prepared to give a satisfactory answer. Calling nursing you back up in case medical school doesn't work out would not be what I would say.

Also make sure the accelerated nursing degree fulfills the requirements for medical school admissions. The med student nurses I know has to take supplementary classes for science classes like physics and associated labs that their nursing degrees didn't provide.

Last edited:
He means that the adcoms may think you should have left the nursing seat to someone who actually wanted it.

The nursing program I'm looking at is not very hard to get into, as long as your gpa is over 3 and you apple early. I could argue that people who apply late "don't want it enough", so no, I don't feel bad that I'm taking their seat.

Look, nursing school is competitive and many people are on wait-lists for years. I am friends with people that waited 3 years before getting in. It is selfish to take that spot to boost your MD application. Apply MD, if you don't get in then you can pursue nursing without screwing anyone over.

Please stop trolling.

The nursing program I'm looking at is not very hard to get into, as long as your gpa is over 3 and you apple early. I could argue that people who apply late "don't want it enough", so no, I don't feel bad that I'm taking their seat.

Those facts about the specific nursing program you're planning on are going to be unknown/irrelevant to anyone in medical school admissions reviewing your app, so as said above, you better have a rock solid explanation for why medical school after nursing school besides 'I wanted a backup'.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I'd have to wait another year/couple of months after my medical school rejection before I could matriculate into a nursing program. Don't want to waste time.

But you're willing to take one to two years to get a BSN that you hopefully won't need before applying? Either way you lose a couple years, right?

Those facts about the specific nursing program you're planning on are going to be unknown/irrelevant to anyone in medical school admissions reviewing your app, so as said above, you better have a rock solid explanation for why medical school after nursing school besides 'I wanted a backup'.

I disagree. What's foolish is not having a plan B. And nursing is a good backup for anyone who is interested in health care delivery.

But you're willing to take one to two years to get a BSN that you hopefully won't need before applying? Either way you lose a couple years, right?

No I do need it. Why would I do another undergrad if I didn't need it?

No I do need it. Why would I do another undergrad if I didn't need it?
I mean you won't need it if you get into medical school. In that case, you would have wasted the time spent getting the BSN.

I disagree. What's foolish is not having a plan B. And nursing is a good backup for anyone who is interested in health care delivery.
Why are you asking a question when you are already set on ignoring anything that disagrees with your thoughts? Just do what you want and find out the consequences later.

I mean you won't need it if you get into medical school. In that case, you would have wasted the time spent getting the BSN.

LOL nice trolling. Is anyone going to answer my question properly?

Why are you asking a question when you are already set on ignoring anything that disagrees with your thoughts? Just do what you want and find out the consequences later.

You, sir or madam, did not read my post properly.

Yea using nursing as a "backup" is a bad idea. As is getting a BSN degree and going straight to medical school. Those who have successfully transitioned from nursing to medicine worked as an RN for at least 6 months. Working as an RN you gain tons of experience. You get to witness first hand the various roles of health care providers (MD/DO, Pharmacy, PT, OT, ARNP, PA, etc etc). As an RN you also build relationships with Physicians. It makes receiving guidance, LOR, and acquiring shadowing opportunities a breeze.

To use myself as an example, I work in the Neurological ICU as an RN. Ive worked directly with fresh post op Craniotomies, pts with ventriculostomies, SDH, GB, MG, vented/intubated pts, etc etc. Ive been in countless amounts of Code blues and stroke calls. I have a close relationship with the neurosurgeons, anesthesiologist, neurologists, neuro-interventionalist, neuro radiologists, hospitalists, cardiologists, etc etc.

That is how nursing can be beneficial form someone pursuing a career in medicine. But like others have stated, you really need to have a solid reason as why the switch. If you do then you are golden. Although I have no regrets since the experience I received was sound, nursing is not for me. I learned that through my experience as working as one. Its hard to say nursing is not for you if you never worked as one. So obtaining a BSN and never working as one will hurt you when you apply to medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea using nursing as a "backup" is a bad idea. As is getting a BSN degree and going straight to medical school. Those who have successfully transitioned from nursing to medicine worked as an RN for at least 6 months. Working as an RN you gain tons of experience. You get to witness first hand the various roles of health care providers (MD/DO, Pharmacy, PT, OT, ARNP, PA, etc etc). As an RN you also build relationships with Physicians. It makes receiving guidance, LOR, and acquiring shadowing opportunities a breeze.

To use myself as an example, I work in the Neurological ICU as an RN. Ive worked directly with fresh post op Craniotomies, pts with ventriculostomies, SDH, GB, MG, vented/intubated pts, etc etc. Ive been in countless amounts of Code blues and stroke calls. I have a close relationship with the neurosurgeons, anesthesiologist, neurologists, neuro-interventionalist, neuro radiologists, hospitalists, cardiologists, etc etc.

That is how nursing can be beneficial form someone pursuing a career in medicine. But like others have stated, you really need to have a solid reason as why the switch. If you do then you are golden. Although I have no regrets since the experience I received was sound, nursing is not for me. I learned that through my experience as working as one. Its hard to say nursing is not for you if you never worked as one. So obtaining a BSN and never working as one will hurt you when you apply to medical school.

Thank you for sharing your perspective.

If you walk into an interview and they ask you "Why medicine if you're already studying to be a nurse?" and you answer "Because medicine is super competitive and I need a plan B in case I don't get in", your application will get rejected. That's not an opinion. I'm not trolling. It just is.

If you wish to pursue this, then you'll have to take some time off working as a nurse, gaining experience in the field. Develop close relationships with the doctors you work with, gain their perspective on that side of healthcare, and form a reason why you truly want to go into medicine and not nursing. Saying that nursing and medicine are equivalent is insulting to both doctors and nurses.

What should you take away from this? Pursuing nursing as a back up career will still waste time, especially since I've heard a few schools don't count Nursing science classes as "part of the prereqs" (someone correct me if I'm wrong). You should pursue a degree in a field that intellectually stimulates you and makes you a more well rounded person. If you love patient care so much, you'll get plenty of that when you become a doctor.

I'm a nurse as well and I agree with Aerus and DO IVR. I personally think going straight from nursing school to medical school might be close to impossible without an awesome reason. I really don't think the "stealing a seat" bit will come up if you've worked for at least a year or two in nursing. Also, some people may give you the oh but there's a nursing shortage argument and you're contributing to it. Yes technically there is a shortage in certain regions just like there is for physicians but as a business practice hospitals are usually not going to hire more nurses than they barely need. So that argument is nil in my book because there are hordes of new graduate nurses waiting 6-12 months just to land their first job in a hospital.

I think that experience as a nurse is an extremely strong asset. This might be my own bias sinking in... other pre meds have shadowed here and there but the majority haven't held jobs in the hospital. It's a great way to know if healthcare is even right for you and possibly build connections. You get to really understand what it's like working in this type of setting, 12 hour shifts, night shifts, stressed out and haven't eaten, and learn a ton. I feel like shadowing gives you bits and pieces of medicine and doesn't really show you how grueling it can be. So if you get some experience that might be something you can play as a major strength on your application. And I'll echo what has already been said. Experience or no you need a good reason for the switch.

Reactions: 1 users
Will you have to do 'another' post-bacc? I feel like you could make the argument that when you made the switch from whatever to healthcare, you didn't realize that you really wanted to be in a physician's role. I feel like some well-chosen DO schools might be more open to this. Just start getting involved with shadowing a DO right away.
'

So I was previously under the impression that you had already gone through a nursing program and realized you didn't want to be a nurse. I don't think you'll get in anywhere if you treat your 2nd degree like a post-bacc. Why don't you do a post-bacc? Are you interested in DO? If you get great grades there's no reason to think you won't get in. What percentile did you score on your SATS? Take that, and drop it about 10 points to approximate what your MCAT score might look like. There's also the PA route. The bottom line, though, is that if you enroll in this 2nd degree program, you are not going to get into med school -- unless you wait a few years like the posters above.

This might give you some insight.

What should you take away from this? Pursuing nursing as a back up career will still waste time, especially since I've heard a few schools don't count Nursing science classes as "part of the prereqs" (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

No, you are correct. The science pre-reqs for nursing is different from that of a biology major. The chemistry for the nursing track is geared towards nursing and other health care professions, for example (chm1033 for nursing and chm1045 for biology/premed)

LOL nice trolling. Is anyone going to answer my question properly?

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean that they are trolling. These are legitimate concerns that you need to consider should you take this path.

The only nurse I'm aware of in my class worked as a nurse prior to med school, and continued to work weekends while in med school (this was due to her visa requirements, not by choice). I am unaware of anyone who came straight through after getting a nursing degree (the fact that over half our entering class now has taken at least a year off contributes to this).

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean that they are trolling. These are legitimate concerns that you need to consider should you take this path.

Actually, Shroomz got me, I'm a troll. I've made serious posts for the last two years just to throw everyone off. Looks like I should have waited three years...

No, you are correct. The science pre-reqs for nursing is different from that of a biology major. The chemistry for the nursing track is geared towards nursing and other health care professions, for example (chm1033 for nursing and chm1045 for biology/premed)
You must be a Floridian, but I am not sure that med schools pay attention to these nuances.

'

So I was previously under the impression that you had already gone through a nursing program and realized you didn't want to be a nurse. I don't think you'll get in anywhere if you treat your 2nd degree like a post-bacc. Why don't you do a post-bacc? Are you interested in DO? If you get great grades there's no reason to think you won't get in. What percentile did you score on your SATS? Take that, and drop it about 10 points to approximate what your MCAT score might look like. There's also the PA route. The bottom line, though, is that if you enroll in this 2nd degree program, you are not going to get into med school -- unless you wait a few years like the posters above.

Lol, please don't try to correlate SAT performance with MCAT performance... There's plenty of anecdotal evidence in the MCAT discussion forum of people who had abysmal SAT scores but have managed 30+s. I was lazy in high school and my grades/SAT scores were relatively poor, but I'm doing great in college because of a change in attitude and work ethic.

Hi,

Has anyone done an accelerated nursing program as a second undergrad and applied to medical school after? Please don't give me a lecture on how doing nursing is not a good idea if I really want to be a doctor. I would really appreciate if someone who has done this could share their experience.

Thanks!

I would do the nursing program, I really wish I did

Hi,

Thanks!

I did..kind of.
Got a BS in biology then an associates of nursing. A few months after becoming an RN, I've been accepted to an MD program.

It's doable, but nursing school sucks.

It does give you more options in the future if you should never gain an acceptance to medical school. Provided you have the prereqs, you could become a PA, NP, or CRNA.

Last edited:

The adcom at the school I was accepted told me it was a wise move financially and that it was what set my application apart.

I used it as a back up and was honest about it. It made more financial and professional sense than getting a masters. At the time I couldn't afford to reapply to medical school.

I think a large part of making a good impression on an interviewer is not the answer as much as it is the sincerity.

One could make the argument that nursing school was an expensive way to gain 750ish hours of clinical exposure; that is far better than the experience of most pre meds regardless of how long one actually works as a nurse.