Acceleration, Velocity and Kepplers Laws

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, In TBR, Keplers 2nd law of orbitals says that as radius decreases, force, acceleration, and velocity increase. I get why force increase via gravity equation, but as for acceleration and velocity I am confused because I thought if you decrease radius both velocity and acceleration decreases because it takes less time to make a revolution.

Also, I am confusing myself about interpreting proportions. For example, W (ang. velocity)=V/R. Here velocity and radius are inversely proportional, but if I rearrange it to solve for velocity I get V=WR, in which case velocity and radius are directly proportional. Which is it? I'm confused.

Members don't see this ad.

If you decrease the radius of an orbiting object, the gravitational force increases - not linearly, but by the square of the distance.

Then, according to F= ma(centrip) and F = mv^2/R, this larger Fg contributes to a larger centripetal acceleration and thus a larger tangential velocity. It takes less time to make a revolution because of the increase in velocity mostly.

As for your second paragraph, W = V/R shows that V and R are directly related (even though they are a quotient, they are on the same side of the equation - think about what you have to do to R if you increase V by 2 in order to keep W the same).