Accept a B in a prerequisite or re-take the course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GH253

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had really hoped to get no less than an A- in any prerequisite course, but I got one B this quarter and am wondering whether I should re-take it. It's one of the general chem courses. Right now my GPA is floating around 3.6 and this is not good enough.

On the other hand, if I accept the B and move on with life, I can get a good grade in a future upper-division course that I would not have otherwise taken by the time I apply to med school.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake B's for "possible" A's!!!!!:bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
I could slaughter it with a 4.0 if I took the class over. Especially now that I know all the labs.

you're gonna re-take a B? you have any idea how many pre-meds would be retaking courses throughout college if a B was worthy of a class retake?

edit: my 100th post! how exciting...senior member and all that. lol

well I'm not trying to be Joe Schmoe pre-med, I actually want to be a strong applicant

Even if you have all A's and one B, you'll still be a strong applicant grade wise.

med schools (AMCAS) average grades. so A and a B would be a 3.5. not worth it, its would be better to take a new course

A B speaks volumes about your moral character. I wouldn't settle for anything else than a 4.000.

From what you just said, you answered your own question. As the person above stated, re-taking a class and getting an A would only be worth half of your A since the grades would be averaged. Receiving an A in a new course would improve your GPA more, since it would also add more credits.

Besides, don't most schools not allow you to retake B's?

Don't retake it. Even if you do, AMCAS will average the two grades. Also, your school probably will not even allow it.

I had really hoped to get no less than an A- in any prerequisite course, but I got one B this quarter and am wondering whether I should re-take it. It's one of the general chem courses. Right now my GPA is floating around 3.6 and this is not good enough.

On the other hand, if I accept the B and move on with life, I can get a good grade in a future upper-division course that I would not have otherwise taken by the time I apply to med school.

Thoughts?

Take the B. Use the search function.

Members don't see this ad :)
A "B" is not the end of the world...Just rock your other classes and no one will care about a "B" in one pre-req class! If you had all other A's at the end of a normal four years you would still have like a 3.98 gpa...

you're gonna re-take a B? you have any idea how many pre-meds would be retaking courses throughout college if a B was worthy of a class retake?

edit: my 100th post! how exciting...senior member and all that. lol

Well shoot! That was my 100th post right before this as well! Makes this an epic post! AND we both have the word faith in our sigs...weird...not really but it is just something I noticed

I wouldn't retake a B, that sounds ridiculous. Also, if you have a 3.6 then obviously you've gotten less than As before. Accept it and move on. Its definitely not going to be worth the work. Also, adcoms will see you took the class twice...if you don't improve your grade, they'll wonder whats wrong with you. If you do, they might think you're just waaay too anal. It's up to you, but I feel it's not worth it.

The average MD matriculant has something like a 3.66 GPA. This means that they have a few to several Bs and maybe even a C or two. :eek:

well I'm not trying to be Joe Schmoe pre-med, I actually want to be a strong applicant

Being a "strong" applicant is more than having good grades and/or MCAT score. Have you been doing anything outside of worrying about your academics?

Don't listen to them. They want you to not retake the class so your GPA will be ruined and they can take your seat in med school. RETAKE IT AS MANY TIMES AS NECESSARY. I would even recommend retaking an A-.

Don't listen to them. They want you to not retake the class so your GPA will be ruined and they can take your seat in med school. RETAKE IT AS MANY TIMES AS NECESSARY. I would even recommend retaking an A-.

:thumbup:

Don't bother retaking. As a matter of fact, don't even bother applying in the US. For further explanation, see the link in my status.

ok you guys are funny

Last edited:
If I ever got a B, I would just commit seppuku. I couldn't live with that shame.

i have a C+ in bio 1 and c in gen chem lab 2, i should retake it then?

Oh my god! You got a B?!? You know, in order to be a doctor in the United States, you need to have received an A+ in all courses and been at ranked first in your undergraduate university! We all know medical school students all got straight A+s, no B's, or C's.

Definitely retake the course so you don't seem capable of being less than perfect..I mean, doctors are perfect and never make mistakes, right?

If you haven't picked up on the sarcasm, you should. Retaking a B won't help you. If you have B's in most pre-req classes, though, you'll probably have to do a post-bacc or some form of GPA rehab.

So many things I'd like to say to that... but you're young, dream big.

Retake a B? Seriously? I, for the life of me, will never understand some of my fellow premeds.

Well shoot! That was my 100th post right before this as well! Makes this an epic post! AND we both have the word faith in our sigs...weird...not really but it is just something I noticed

haha awesome! :)

lmao :laugh:

this is some sick joke right? you should never retake a B. Get over it. Move on. Med schools have GPA ranges anywhere from a 3.5-4.0 you'll be competitive with a good MCAT, research, EC, LOR, etc. One stinkin B won't be the end of you, but dreading it and thinking about retaking it will.

if I were an adcom member reviewing an application, and I saw a person retaking B's, I'd seriously start to question their sanity.

You should retake the course. Look into the possibility of in fact getting a 4.25 or 4.5 in the course instead of just an A. An A isn't good enough. You need an A^2.
:prof:

Retake the course. Get the A you deserve. Retake the course again and get another A so you can cancel out this lame AMCAS GPA average system and end up with a 3.66.

And.....GO

I retook a 94.9999999999997 so I could get a 95.000000000 and brag to all my friends that I got an A+

THEY WERE SO EFFING JEALOUS I FELT LIKE A BALLER :cool:

med schools (AMCAS) average grades. so A and a B would be a 3.5. not worth it, its would be better to take a new course

Off subject but I'd really appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me. As far as AMCAS is concerned, if you retake a course that you earned a B in and get an A, you say that they average the grades. Does this mean, if it is a 3 credit course, that you will get 3 credits of 3.5 or 6 credits of 3.5(3 @ 4 + 3 @ 3) If they gave you 6 credits of 3.5 there would be no point in retaking, as you could accomplish the same thing numerically by earning an A in any other 3 credit class.
Hence, it must be that they would give you 3 credits worth of the average 3.5 points. Clarification/confirmation?

whelp I just got my grades back and turns out I got a B+ so :D