Accepting Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeaandCarrots

Reaction score
I am currently struggling with a decision about whether to accept an admission from a Carribbean medical school or to take another year to reapply to MD/DO programs.

Some background information about me:
  • I am 26 at the moment, and applied twice to MD programs unsuccessfully (once for the 2017 cycle, and once more for the 2019 cycle albeit only to a handful of schools.) I have yet to apply to any DO programs.
  • Undergrad GPA: 3.9+
    • MCAT Score (2016): 520+
    • MCAT Retake (2019): 520+

I have not applied to any MD/DO programs since 2019, but decided to send applications to some Carribbean programs this cycle as I was getting worried about my future and my extended time off from school. While applying, I was told that it is entirely possible to succeed at Carribbean programs and obtain US residencies in underfilled specialities like IM, but some more research into recent developments have made me feel a little anxious, and I am starting to think said advice was outdated.

At the same time, I am not sure about my chances for obtaining a seat as an MD/DO student as a reapplicant given my age and my time off from school.

I would appreciate any advice or insight you might have. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do NOT apply Carib!
The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention, especially DO schools.

What's your GPAs?

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there red flags on your application that you're not disclosing here? I know you're a few years out from graduation, but your stats are great. I'm surprised you didn't have success with USMD.

Reactions: 3 users
Do NOT apply Carib!
The pool of US applicants from the Caribbean is viewed differently by Program Directors. The DDx for a Caribbean grad is pretty off-putting: bad judgment, bad advice, egotism, gullibility, overbearing parents, inability to delay gratification, IA's, legal problems, weak research skills, high risk behavior. This is not to say that all of them still have the quality that drew them into this situation. There is just no way to know which ones they are. Some PD's are in a position where they need to, or can afford to take risks too! So, some do get interviews.

Bad grades and scores are the least of the deficits from a PD's standpoint. A strong academic showing in a Caribbean medical school does not erase this stigma. It fact it increases the perception that the reason for the choice was on the above-mentioned list!

Just about everyone from a Caribbean school has one or more of these problems and PDs know it. That's why their grads are the last choice even with a high Step 1 score.

There was a time when folks whose only flaw was being a late bloomer went Carib, but those days are gone. There are a number of US med schools that will reward reinvention, especially DO schools.

What's your GPAs?
Undergrad GPA was a 3.93. I was a STEM major and took all STEM classes so my science GPA is the same.

I have already applied and received an acceptance from Carribbean programs, and now am not sure what to do. I'm a bit concerned also that (in the case I do end up declining the acceptance and choosing to reapply,) that US medical schools will be able to see that decision and will consider it a red flag.

Last edited:
Are there red flags on your application that you're not disclosing here? I know you're a few years out from graduation, but your stats are great. I'm surprised you didn't have success with USMD.
No red flags; I was just extremely unprepared for my interview sessions during my first cycle applying, and the anxiety and pressure of failing a second time held me back my second time applying in 2019 (I did not submit many applications, and did not interview well again.)

Since graduating in 2017, I did some post-bacc work and sought some new volunteer and shadowing experiences in healthcare. But for whatever reason I felt like I wasn't good enough again, and that perception carried over during interview day I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Undergrad GPA was a 3.93. I was a STEM major and took all STEM classes so my science GPA is the same.

I have already applied and received an acceptance from Carribbean programs, and now am not sure what to do. I'm a bit concerned also that (in the case I do end up declining the acceptance and choosing to reapply,) that US medical schools will be able to see that decision and will consider it a red flag.
Turning down a Carib accept is a sign of wisdom, not a red flag. Actually going to the Caribbean is the red flag.

So what you do now is turn down that accept, and start improving your app. Take a gap year.

What was your school list and when did you apply? Not year, what month were you complete?

• Dislike
Reactions: 8 users
Please do not go to the Caribbean, you keep speaking down on yourself and talking about how you feel you wouldn't be good enough to gain admission into a US school. The Caribbean is a predatory pressure cooker, with only over half of what started being able to apply for match, and half of that matching. It's only an absolute last resort, and even then I'd probably consider something else. USMD/DO schools provide students with so much more safety in regards to matching, both are practical guarantees of a 250k+ job if you put your nose to the grindstone and make it to match, which most do.

I'd recommend going to see a mental health professional about these self-confidence issues you've been having. Quite frankly, your stats are seemingly stellar, and you have the requisite experiences needed for a US acceptance. It's understandable to be feeling a bit worried about whether or not you're good enough to get in, but these confidence problems your facing would be a death sentence for the Caribbean. Age should not be a factor in this decision, as you may be saddled with 6 figure debt without a job. You have the goods to make it and the only thing holding you back is you at this point. Sitting down with someone and breaking down ways to confront these issues may be a helpful way to find next steps towards relief. Once you start having that confidence in your abilities, I'm sure you'll get in.

1656099964144.png

Reactions: 7 users
Take another year and apply BROADLY to DO and MD programs. DO programs are always open to accepting older students!

You did a retake of a 523 MCAT? And got another 523? Retaking it would be a red flag to some. That's a 100% tile MCAT with a near perfect gpa, and you weren't admitted? There must be other problems, maybe with with interviewing? This is not adding up. I would get some interview help and contact some schools where you weren't admitted and see if they can give you some feedback on where you fell short. Good luck and best wishes!
Edit. Do not apply carribean. Numerically your app is solid, so search out your weaknesses.

Reactions: 5 users
You did a retake of a 523 MCAT? And got another 523? Retaking it would be a red flag to some. That's a 100% tile MCAT with a near perfect gpa, and you weren't admitted? There must be other problems, maybe with with interviewing? This is not adding up. I would get some interview help and contact some schools where you weren't admitted and see if they can give you some feedback on where you fell short. Good luck and best wishes!
Edit. Do not apply carribean. Numerically your app is solid, so search out your weaknesses.
A lot of schools have an expiration so the retake was probably needed. But I do agree that not getting in with these stats suggests a red flag

Reactions: 1 users
I had to retake it because my old score was expiring and I needed a more recent score to reapply.

Looking back, I think the main issue with my application was my poor interviewing (I was told as much from adcoms/admissions at some schools I interviewed at,) or at least it was up until 2019. Presently, I've been out of school for 2 years and have a very large gap in my resume where I have only been working as a tutor/obtained an EMT certification, and have been out of school and full-time employment.

If I aim to apply to DO programs next cycle, I would have to take the MCAT a third time but I am confident I can obtain a score comparable to my first and second takes. I can also find some meaningful work as an EMT and be working full-time by January of next year I imagine.

I am concerned about the gap in my resume being a red flag for DO programs, but am also concerned by some of the things I am learning about Caribbean schools as well. The decision I'm struggling with is whether to take another gap year and risk not getting into a DO program as a 28yo non-traditional applicant, or to accept my admissions from the Carribbean.

Also, thank you for the help everyone. I truly appreciate it.

I had to retake it because my old score was expiring and I needed a more recent score to reapply.

Looking back, I think the main issue with my application was my poor interviewing (I was told as much from adcoms/admissions at some schools I interviewed at,) or at least it was up until 2019. Presently, I've been out of school for 2 years and have a very large gap in my resume where I have only been working as a tutor/obtained an EMT certification, and have been out of school and full-time employment.

If I aim to apply to DO programs next cycle, I would have to take the MCAT a third time but I am confident I can obtain a score comparable to my first and second takes. I can also find some meaningful work as an EMT and be working full-time by January of next year I imagine.

I am concerned about the gap in my resume being a red flag for DO programs, but am also concerned by some of the things I am learning about Caribbean schools as well. The decision I'm struggling with is whether to take another gap year and risk not getting into a DO program as a 28yo non-traditional applicant, or to accept my admissions from the Carribbean.

All explainable. You need an interview coach to aid you in future interviews. Be prepared to answer the questions I posed. With a solid interview, explaining how you have reflected and improved, I think you will get love from DO and some MD schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for someone like you with your amazing stats to be going to Carribean.
You need to call and ask admissions what's wrong with your app.
And apply DO.

But you should be able to get MD if you fix your app and apply to more schools (>50 MD), and fix the essays and Personal statement

Reactions: 4 users
Do not go to the Caribbean, but also you should not apply to anywhere near 50 MD schools. That would add unneeded stress to your life

During my second application for admission in 2019 I applied to about 30 MD programs including those I applied to previously, but I only submitted secondaries to 6 of them because I felt anxiety and was fixated on my previous experience applying and failing.
So, you essentially only really applied to 6 MD schools during the second go-around... and now you’re thinking about the Caribbean. If your anxiety is causing you to struggle with interviews and engage in self-sabotaging behavior, then you need to address that before thinking about medical school.

Do not go to a Caribbean school. Do not go to a DO school. Your stats are extremely strong, and you don’t have red flags; I assume you are domestic applicant. If you submit secondaries to >30 MD schools and improve your interview performance, you will be golden.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
So, you essentially only really applied to 6 MD schools during the second go-around... and now you’re thinking about the Caribbean. If your anxiety is causing you to struggle with interviews and engage in self-sabotaging behavior, then you need to address that before thinking about medical school.

Do not go to a Caribbean school. Do not go to a DO school. Your stats are extremely strong, and you don’t have red flags; I assume you are domestic applicant. If you submit secondaries to >30 MD schools and improve your interview performance, you will be golden.
Exactly. OP doesn't doesn't appreciate that he/she is in such a good position right now and is trying to self sabotage himself/herself at one of the most critical decisions in life right now.

So it looks like a third MCAT may be on the horizon if your last attempt was 2019 on an undergrad GPA of 3.9X.

What exactly aren't you telling us? Six years without an MD acceptance points to something, and if you've already paid thousands to admissions consultants, you are wasting money and time. Is there an IA or serious black mark that prevents you from any action for AMCAS or AACOMAS? We need to figure this out, and you must start networking with DO schools or else they will wonder why you hadn't gotten into an MD earlier (damaged goods??).

This is 100% a troll post… don’t feed it

• Hmm
Reactions: 11 users
So it looks like a third MCAT may be on the horizon if your last attempt was 2019 on an undergrad GPA of 3.9X.

What exactly aren't you telling us? Six years without an MD acceptance points to something, and if you've already paid thousands to admissions consultants, you are wasting money and time. Is there an IA or serious black mark that prevents you from any action for AMCAS or AACOMAS? We need to figure this out, and you must start networking with DO schools or else they will wonder why you hadn't gotten into an MD earlier (damaged goods??).

I applied the first time for the wrong reasons (e.g. - pressure from family,) and I ended up sabotaging myself by not preparing adequately for interviews as I was interviewing as an undergrad. I did not reflect on that experience and did not apply with conviction in 2019, but reflecting on my gap year and shadowing experiences and my time as an EMT have made me want to reapply myself.

I do not know what an IA is; I do not have any black marks or disciplinary records (aside from the now 2 year gap in my resume) that disqualify me as an applicant. I applied late, and applied to too few schools.

This is 100% a troll post… don’t feed it

I can post my file and my scores if they would help but I don't know if that would convince you.
I've opened up about my experience and why I interviewed poorly in the post above, which was missing from my explanation. I came here because I needed honest help and input about what to do, and about my chances as a DO applicant.

Thanks

I can post my file and my scores if they would help but I don't know if that would convince you.
I've opened up about my experience and why I interviewed poorly in the post above, which was missing from my explanation. I came here because I needed honest help and input about what to do, and about my chances as a DO applicant.

Thanks
You're 1000% good for DO. You're 100% good for MD.

Actually ironically, your super high scores might hurt you for DO (but you'll still get in) cus they'll be wondering why you're applying to them. They don't like being used as backup.
You also should get someone here to proof read your Personal statement and essays.

I'm also maybe a little worried if your LOR's say something like "Applicant doesn't seem confident". Make sure your writers aren't screwing you there.

You're 1000% good for DO. You're 100% good for MD.

Actually ironically, your super high scores might hurt you for DO (but you'll still get in) cus they'll be wondering why you're applying to them. They don't like being used as backup.
You also should get someone here to proof read your Personal statement and essays.

I'm also maybe a little worried if your LOR's say something like "Applicant doesn't seem confident". Make sure your writers aren't screwing you there.
The letters are confidential, but I know my letter writers well and they would not have agreed to write me a letter if they were not confident in me as an applicant.

I just wanted to emphasize that I've been out of school and full-time employment for 2.5 years since the end of 2019. In that time period, I trained as an EMT and was only working part-time.

I am trying to rework myself as an applicant and anticipate I can find full-time employment as an EMT by the end of the year. I am wondering if any community members have any experience with people in my position, and if they know how adcoms might see gaps in resumes that large.

Thank you everyone!

The letters are confidential, but I know my letter writers well and they would not have agreed to write me a letter if they were not confident in me as an applicant.

I just wanted to emphasize that I've been out of school and full-time employment for 2.5 years since the end of 2019. In that time period, I trained as an EMT and was only working part-time.

I am trying to rework myself as an applicant and anticipate I can find full-time employment as an EMT by the end of the year. I am wondering if any community members have any experience with people in my position, and if they know how adcoms might see gaps in resumes that large.

Thank you everyone!
You're fine.
I've been out of school for 7 years before starting med school.

I wonder if like me, you have an inferiority complex. So I'll be clear that you CAN get MD if you apply to enough schools and fix stuff. You are in a great position. You don't need to settle for any inferior positions.

Damn if 27 is old then I am geriatric. Gastrointestinal block caused my first gray hair at age 32 this year which I promptly ripped out and ignored it happening.

Honestly I cannot see you succeeding in any medical school until you get that anxiety under control, and I could say with like 95% certainty that you would struggle immensely in Caribbean despite your high stats.

Imagine moving to out of the country to an island with crap internet being forced in school 8 hours a day 5 days a week and not knowing a single person there. On top of that the school is actively trying to fail 50-75% of their class before M3 and you have a recipe for disaster.

Even if you get through you will have to interview again for your residencies, and you already have huge strikes against you being from a Caribbean school. Do not go Caribbean.

Have you tried practice interviewing with friends? Coworkers, hell even to a therapist? Tried hiring an interview coach? Run practice MMI questions or done any seminars or free readings of common medical school interview questions?

I’m grateful to be in medical school in my thirties. Yes I have to work harder than some of my younger peers, but emotionally I wasn’t ready for this in my mid 20’s, so stop fixating on the fact that you are 27, you will still have many amazing years as a doctor even if you started the path a little later.

This is so not true. We know people use us as backups, and apply to MD schools first. We don't take it personally.

We also don't practice resource protection. My school has interviewed people from the Ivies, and roughly one-third of the people we interviewed this year had MCAT scores above the 90th percentile. And we accept them as well.

This is so not true. We know people use us as backups, and apply to MD schools first. We don't take it personally.

We also don't practice resource protection. My school has interviewed people from the Ivies, and roughly one-third of the people we interviewed this year had MCAT scores above the 90th percentile. And we accept them as well.

True. I stand corrected.

Sorry for bumping the thread; I just wanted to ask if anybody has a differing opinion about my viability as a to-be 28 year old reapplicant in light of the 2 year gap in my resume when I was only working part-time.

Thank you everyone for all your help!

Sorry for bumping the thread; I just wanted to ask if anybody has a differing opinion about my viability as a to-be 28 year old reapplicant in light of the 2 year gap in my resume when I was only working part-time.

Your stats are great, I would apply DO this cycle if I were you.

Your stats are great, I would apply DO this cycle if I were you.

I have an application in right now, but I can only submit to a limited number of schools because my latest MCAT score (August 2019) is not valid for many programs. I have another retake scheduled for 8/26, but I am concerned as the score will not be available until well into the cycle and I am already starting somewhat late.

There's also the matter of me being several years out of school/employment (still in the process of finding full-time EMT work), which I worry will be a red flag for adcoms.

AAMC gpa/mcat grid does show 10% of applicants that apply to MD schools with your stats do not get in, which boggles my mind.

I was 28 when I got in. I'm 29 now! You're FINE!
No more moping now. If life were a super smash bros game, you got God Tier stats.
You just need to apply to many many many more schools and don't mess up the subjective parts of the exam like the personal statement, LOR, and essays. You GOT THIS.

Check out my stats in the sig. They're no where close to yours. And on top of that, I didn't even do any volunteering or shadowing before applying.

I am currently struggling with a decision about whether to accept an admission from a Carribbean medical school or to take another year to reapply to MD/DO programs.

• I am 26 (turning 27) at the moment, and applied twice to MD programs unsuccessfully (once for the 2017 cycle, and once more for the 2019 cycle albeit only to a handful of schools.) I have yet to apply to any DO programs.
  • Undergrad GPA: 3.93
    • MCAT Score (2016): 523
    • MCAT Retake (2019): 523
  • Finished undergrad in 2017 and took additional coursework and found additional shadowing/volunteer work after 2017; have been working as a tutor and trained to become an EMT from 2019 to present.

I have not applied to any MD/DO programs since 2019, but decided to send applications to some Carribbean programs this cycle as I was getting worried about my future and my extended time off from school. While applying, I was told that it is entirely possible to succeed at Carribbean programs and obtain US residencies in underfilled specialities like IM, but some more research into recent developments have made me feel a little anxious, and I am starting to think said advice was outdated.

At the same time, I am not sure about my chances for obtaining a seat as an MD/DO student as a reapplicant given my age and my time off from school.

Your stats are strong. I would reapply again to a better range of schools and DO. While yes you can succeed from a Caribbean school it is infinitely harder and getting harder each year with the shrinking available post graduate programs. Good luck.

100% apply DO. it seems like you might have some reservation toward DO since you haven't applied to them yet?

Caribbean grads can be successful if you have connections in the NYC area, or other places that allow you Caribbean students to do clerkships here. But there are so many other factors. My friend that went to St. George was there during a hurricane and was forced to evacuate, move back to the mainland US, finish coursework in a European medical school. He finally did match peds and is doing great but.... it's just an insane journey for something you can do at a DO school without all the hassle. Heck, even applying for my license right now ( as a DO) it's so much easier than it is for Caribbean students.

Anyway, you can totally get into good residencies as a DO. I graduated with several people now in derm, ortho, ENT, EM, urology, gen surg, anesthesia... and since you clearly are a good test taker, if you take the USMLE and COMLEX you'll have a great chance of getting into a competitive residency. I didn't even take USMLE and had bad COMLEX scores, and I'm doing just fine for myself in psych. A lot of residency programs are becoming more DO friendly since the match has fully merged.

No red flags; I was just extremely unprepared for my interview sessions during my first cycle applying, and the anxiety and pressure of failing a second time held me back my second time applying in 2019 (I did not submit many applications, and did not interview well again.)

Since graduating in 2017, I did some post-bacc work and sought some new volunteer and shadowing experiences in healthcare. But for whatever reason I felt like I wasn't good enough again, and that perception carried over during interview day I think.
How many interviews and secondaries did you get?

Either way, DOs have an easier time in the March than IMGs. So do not go Carrib.

• I am 26 (turning 27) at the moment, and applied twice to MD programs unsuccessfully (once for the 2017 cycle, and once more for the 2019 cycle albeit only to a handful of schools.) I have yet to apply to any DO programs.
  • Finished undergrad in 2017 and took additional coursework and found additional shadowing/volunteer work after 2017; have been working as a tutor and trained to become an EMT from 2019 to present.

I am a Caribbean Med school grad and wouldn’t recommend it. It’s a huge risk. 30-40% of my class quit without graduating leaving them stranded with hundreds of thousands in debt with no way to pay it. I was an average student, top 50th percentile of my class with average step scores and I only got 3 interviews for pediatrics and 1 for internal medicine. Luckily I secured a residency but I have friends who didn’t. Step 1 scores being pass fail now probably hurts ability to stand out against Us Med schools even more.

Don’t let people on here make you discount Caribbean programs as they have helped hundreds of thousands of students become doctors. I’d never say to pick a Caribbean school over them but you should match going to a Caribbean program.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Don’t let people on here make you discount Caribbean programs as they have helped hundreds of thousands of students become doctors. I’d never say to pick a Caribbean school over them but you should match going to a Caribbean program. You also may want to give western Atlantic university a look thru are new and the only fully integrated program backed by doctors. It comes down to how much more time do you want to wait on us programs vs starting sooner.
Lol ok paid carib/western Atlantic representative

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
You have great numbers which can get you into any medical school in the US. You probably need to rework your personal statement and experience description, and some help with the interview process. It’ll be easier to enter into a Caribbean school but the road ahead might be very difficult for residency and the stigma never goes away.

As many have suggested try DO schools, also this time around I would recommend use some professional help who would help reviewing your application, list of schools , interview skills. Little expensive proposition but in long run will be better than Caribbean school choice.

I was 49 when I started medical school last year and graduated from undergrad in 2010. You aren’t too old nor will a 2 year gap hurt your chances of admissions to any US medical schools. Unless you desire to decrease your odds of ever being a doctor, you shouldn’t go to an off shore medical school. There’s ample information on why this is. Your MCAT and grades are great and assuming that other elements of your app (i.e., shadowing, clinical, community service, LORs, PS and well-written secondaries) are reasonably competitive, I don’t see why you aren’t getting interviews or acceptances to US programs. My wife is faculty at a US DO program and sits on the admissions committee; she’s shared stories about students who have had less than stellar interviews due to anxiety or a lack of preparation and have still earned a seat. If a lack of preparation for your interviews is truly the ONLY issue that you are having, that is a relatively easy fix with some coaching. I don’t mean to sound like I’m doubting what you are saying but it just feels like there is more to the story as far as why you haven’t been successful.

Just want to chime in here that you should consider DO programs with no hesitancy. I applied and got into a DO program (and got waitlisted at another) in 2020 when I was 35 and 13 years away from my core courses. I did not do any post-bacc work. I also did not score nearly as well as you did, and my GPA was more around 3.88. Have confidence in the uniqueness of our background! Med schools are looking for maturity and commitment to the field--you have that in droves. I bet you that the interview stuff ONLY is holding you back! Consult your old institution's career center--they may have great advice for interview prep. Some schools even have dedicated pre-med advisors who are paid to help you do exactly what you're doing. Good luck!!

Ross is a good Caribbean school with a good match rates. I’m honestly not sure why you are not landing an acceptance At MD or DO schools because your stats look fine so it must be something else. I just graduated from a DO program and I am 36 so I don’t think age is the factor. It could possibly be due to time off and how you have spent that gap. If you are continuing to do clinical things, volunteering and possibly doing research etc. I feel like that would show your continued interest and wouldn’t be a problem. When it comes to Caribbean schools you just have to know that it will be a little bit more difficult for you to obtain a residency and practice, but it’s not out of the question and it’s not that bad. They do have certain rules and regulations. One that I have heard from a coresident is that you have to score 10 points higher on USMLE so it’s little things like that you should be aware of. Ultimately if your dream is to be a physician, you have to go where you can and I understand not wasting time.

Don’t let people on here make you discount Caribbean programs as they have helped hundreds of thousands of students become doctors. I’d never say to pick a Caribbean school over them but you should match going to a Caribbean program. You also may want to give western Atlantic university a look thru are new and the only fully integrated program backed by doctors. It comes down to how much more time do you want to wait on us programs vs starting sooner.
You're literally saying this to a OP who has top tier stats who has the potential to get into any US MD school.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
  • Dislike
You're literally saying this to a OP who has top tier stats who has the potential to get into any US MD school.
Screw off with your bs.
I agree that he has top-tier stats, but the fact that he has applied twice and has not received an acceptance means that somethings fishy is up. If his only chance of becoming a physician is to go to a Caribbean school, that may be what he needs to do and he needs to pick one of the best to ensure a residency placement. I too am confused on why he was not accepted for the past two years.

I agree that he has top-tier stats, but the fact that he has applied twice and has not received an acceptance means that somethings fishy is up. If his only chance of becoming a physician is to go to a Caribbean school, that may be what he needs to do and he needs to pick one of the best to ensure a residency placement. I too am confused on why he was not accepted for the past two years.
There are MANY reasons why he didn't get in.
1. He applied to too few (most likely)
2. He applied to OOS that isn't known to accept OOS students
3. He messed up is Personal statement
4. Messed up his essays
5. Messed up LOR
6. Didn't interview properly
7. DIDN'T APPLY DO. He literally didn't. He should have 0 problems getting DO.

NONE of those entails going carib. Especially if he sucks at interviewing, going carib will screw him even more when it comes to residency.

• Love

As a practicing physician, I have tons of friends/colleagues/former residents who went the Caribbean route and are brilliant. Once in residency and in the real world, no once cares. They indeed worked very hard.
However, if you jack around, you will be stuck as a primary care doc- these docs are derm, surgerons, rads and fellow neurologist. I am not telling you to go- but if time is not on your side, you should consider it. My former roommate, who was 35 at the time and practicing attorney went to St George and got jis residency of choice. Good luck.

Ps While some students/residents have superiority complex…in the real world, no one cares. There were 2 foreign grads in my residency class (top 10) who were world class. While tons of hurdles, if you take care of business, do the right things you will be ok. If not, you will be a statistic.
Best of luck.

However, if you jack around, you will be stuck as a primary care doc
Actually this is the base case coming from the Caribbean. If you “jack around”, you probably won’t match all.

The few people who match derm each year from Caribbean are probably sons/daughters of PDs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.