This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deleted011111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't want to just feel like I have to give up

This is really melodramatic. Please go to the AAMC's website and look at the stats tables they publish every year. Having a sub 3.6 sGPA isn't going to keep you out of medical school. Do your best to get the best grades you can, simple as that.

- A medical student who applied with a sub 3.5 sGPA

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys,

So I was wondering if anyone could give some input on what a solid science gpa is. My cumulative gpa is a 3.77 right now, which consists of most of those required sciences courses, plus many engineering courses that don't count in the science gpa that I did well in unfortunately, and like two humanities. Because of my B and B+ in general chemistry, and my B- in organic chemistry lab I, my science gpa is 3.67. I've been told anything over 3.6 is okay, so I haven't been super worried.

The only issue is I'm looking at a B at best right now in organic chemistry II unfortunately, and I still have biochemistry and anatomy left, which I've been told are very hard. I got an A in orgo I last semester because I lucked out with a great professor. I was wondering how bad it is to have a science gpa below 3.6. I don't want to just feel like I have to give up, I've really been making an effort this semester to get my extracurriculars and stuff in check, and I've been meeting with my advisor a lot. I've never really thought about science gpa, though, until now. How significant is science gpa, compared to cumulative gpa and other factors?

It's not bad to have an sGPA under 3.6. It IS bad to have a downward trend, unless there are extenuating circumstances to explain it. Even then, after the extenuating circumstances the trend should go back up.

Obviously numbers matter, but volunteering and ECs matter a whole lot too. Look through SDN. You'll find plenty of people who had perfect or near perfect GPAs and smashed the MCAT but didn't get interviews because they didn't have enough or the proper ECs/volunteering.