ACCEPTANCE AT LAST!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12R34Y

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an acceptance EDP to my state school! I'm very excited and relieved that there will be no more AMCAS worries to deal with.

Thanks to all who helped during the process!

later

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations Soon-To-Be-Doc!

People outside of CA are so lucky....

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats

i feel ur pain none!

Congratulations!! Now sit back and enjoy the next year.

Here's to you!!! :D :D :D

Congratulations! It's good to know all that hard work really does pay off sometime. :)

12R34Y, I haven't posted in a while - congrats!

Looks like we'll get to meet next August ;)

Congratulations!!! with a resounding three cheers! What a tremendous relief.

CONGRATULATIONS! What an amazing piece of news...sit back with an iced chai latte and bask in the glow of it!!!!! :D

CONGRATS!
Best of luck to you!!!!!
L :)

U of Kansas? I know an excellent cardiothoracic surgeon who came out of Kansas. He is now an academic at Indiana U. He's kind of strange, but a nice guy. Has a unique dry wit that drives you mad.

Congrats!!

Alicia

Originally posted by none:
•People outside of CA are so lucky....•

actually,

FL students have it tougher than CA students..check the stats..

owcc16

Members don't see this ad :)
I really envy you, having finally completed this AMCAS mess. Now you can sit back and relax for a few months until school starts up.

Congrats and good luck in med school.

Originally posted by owcc16:
•actually,

FL students have it tougher than CA students..check the stats..

owcc16•

I may be wrong, but I think you are right. We don't whine and moan as much, though ;) . Now's our chance...Boo Hoo :( ! Good luck to all! Congrats to 12R34Y!!!

Originally posted by SwampMan:
•Yep, there are lots of states with lower matriculation rates than CA. Here's a URL for your viewing pleasure :) :
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg22001.htm

Colorado, Maryland, Utah, and Washington. That's not that many. (not counting Arizona because it's nearly the same matriculation rate as CA)

Originally posted by lilycat:
•Colorado, Maryland, Utah, and Washington. That's not that many. (not counting Arizona because it's nearly the same matriculation rate as CA)•

There are a lot more than those 4 with lower matriculation rates. I think you are only looking at in-state acceptances. I counted 20, excluding DC, with lower matriculation rates. Seems like only CA residents complain about how tough they have it, though. It's difficult for everyone.

thanks everyone!!

trust me when I say............the relaxtion, apathy, etc... has already begun. I can barely roll out of bed in the mornings. I love it.

later

•There are a lot more than those 4 with lower matriculation rates. I think you are only looking at in-state acceptances. I counted 20, excluding DC, with lower matriculation rates. Seems like only CA residents complain about how tough they have it, though. It's difficult for everyone.•

I think the point was to look at in-state matriculation rates -- that's exactly why you hear CA students complain -- it's not that they can't get into any med school in the country. It's that they feel like they can't get into their state schools. The in-state matriculation rates from the link that you posted supports that belief. And for a majority of premeds, their state schools represent the best chance of an acceptance at all, not to mention usually the best value for their money.

Getting in is getting in is getting in. Why split hairs about whether it is an in-state school or an out-of-state school that offers an acceptace (ignoring value)? I'd rather be in a state that gets more students in PERIOD.

Anyhoo, good luck. We ALL need it.

•Getting in is getting in is getting in. Why split hairs about whether it is an in-state school or an out-of-state school that offers an acceptace. I'd rather be in a state that gets more students in PERIOD.•

Sigh.

Because some people cannot afford to go $200K in debt to afford med school.

Because lots of people have very valid reasons for wanting to stay close to home and family, ie, in-state.

Because, as I mentioned previously, for most people, their state school represents their best chance of getting in period. This is not the case for CA students, and to increase their chances, they typically apply to far more schools than the average applicant in other states which gets very costly very quickly.

Also, my guess why CA students may have a fairly high total matriculation rate all-around is because most of them are shooting for getting into a UC. As a state school system, the UC's probably have some of the most competitive admissions standards in the country, with the range of ave. MCAT scores running from 11.4-10.4 (taking all 5 schools into account). If those are the types of standards that CA students are aiming for, then they are obviously competitive for most schools nationwide as a side result. It's not the state that's getting the students in, but rather the effective standards the state school system is setting for these students.

lilycat,

Think much of those in your state?! California is good, but the people there are humans like the rest of us. I lived in California, was educated in California (for some time) but now live in Florida. As I said before, it's tough for every applicant. For the most part, we're all competing for entrance into the same schools.

Concerning money...we all don't want to go in debt, but (as physicians) we will be able to pay it off. I certainly can't imagine paying off $100K+ in debt, but realize that my education is merely an investment...perhaps the best one i'll ever make.

Simmah down now...simmah down ;).

I actually don't think that much of CA students compared to students anywhere else. Like you, I've lived in CA, and I've lived elsewhere. I go to med school in Texas now. A premed is a premed is a premed -- they're pretty much all the same and they're all used to a high level of achievement, no matter where they are from. However, in your previous post you seemed to think that CA students have some sort of advantage in med school admissions merely by being from CA, which isn't exactly the case -- if that wasn't your intent, I apologize for misunderstanding you. I was simply trying to offer an explanation for why it might appear that way.

While you might consider $100K a necessary investment for your education, I know many people who felt that they could not go to med school if it involved that kind of debt, or even well beyond $100K. Thus, they only applied to their state schools (in these cases, the UC system), and if they didn't get in after one or two tries, they moved on to something else. It's unfortunate, because I think some of them would have made excellent doctors, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting the burden of 6-figure debt. That's a pretty personal decision, and not really one that should be up for public judgment of one's dedication or interest.

lilycat,

I was merely venting about all the whining I hear from CA applicants. I didn't mean to imply an "advantage". Sorry if I gave you that impression.

Hopefully I won't have to go $100K in debt, but I'm willing to if need be. I'm aiming for $80K, at most.

I know this opinion is controversial, but debt alone should not be enough to deter someone from pursuing medicine...unless they don't really want it.

I know this opinion is controversial, but debt alone should not be enough to deter someone from pursuing medicine...unless they don't really want it.•

A bunch of snappy responses came to mind when I read this, but that's typically never been my style on SDN in the past, so no reason to start now.

I'd just like to to say that life isn't always that black and white -- something that may be important to consider when you are working with your future med school classmates, your attendings, and most importantly, your patients.

Way to go!!!!!!!
Take a DEEEEEEP breath now and relax, at least until next fall :)

GOOD LUCK FUTURE DOC!
L :)

Originally posted by lilycat:
•I'd just like to to say that life isn't always that black and white -- something that may be important to consider when you are working with your future med school classmates, your attendings, and most importantly, your patients.•

Of course things aren't always black and white. This is why I said debt ALONE should not deter someone from pursuing medicine...unless they don't want it.

Anyway, this thread is not about the subject we are discussing. It's distracting from what's important, an acceptance! CONGRATS again!!!

Okay, here's why CA students complain, valid or invalid as it may be. Look at the UC stats and then look at say the University of Alabama, University of Kansas, University of Iowa...pretty much ANY in-state public school will have MUCH lower average stats than all of the UCs.

My God, Swamp! Lilycat has done an excellent job of considering both scores and $, and then you say "Hopefully I won't have to go $100K in debt, but I'm willing to if need be. I'm aiming for $80K, at most." For a Californian, a non-UC school means $200k. Your $80-100k is CHUMP CHANGE. Where did you go to undergrad? You don't seem to have the vaguest notion of how much college costs if you're not getting a free ride [$10-15k/yr] at a state undergrad school. "I'm aiming for $80K, at most." How arrogant!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound arrogant. We all can dream, and mine is to not exceed $80K. Unlike some, I didn't choose to go to a costly private U for undergrad studies. So...if I also go state for med (which is by no stretch of the imagination a guarantee), I can manage to leave with a debt less than $80K. If I go out of state, however, I run the risk of accumulate debt that is $150K+...just as CA residents do. There are no guarantees that any of us will land a comfy spot at our state U, so debt is not only a CA worry.

Again...debt ALONE should not prevent one from pursuing his/her dream.

PEACE