Dec 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I am interested in attending a D.O school and am currently a junior with a 3.6 cGPA and an embarrassing 2.8 sGPA. I got a C- in physics so that is obviously going to be retaken. My choices are to take it this summer with a teacher is notoriously difficult, or take it in the fall with the teacher I took before and saved all of his quizzes. That class alone would bring my sGPA to about a 3.1. I would also retake 1 other C which would give me a 3.3 sgpa. My question is: should I wait to apply in the fall once physics is retaken, or should I apply with that ugly sGPA and hope for an interview?

I am taking my MCAT in may, but im more worried about the GPA issue. I was hoping to apply next cycle.

Any suggestions would definitely help ease my mind. Thank you!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
For DO schools, applying at the end of the summer isn't as much of a handicap as it would be for MD schools. But if you were to wait for fall term grades to come out (?in Dec) before applying, when it would then take 7-ish weeks to get your transcripts verified through AACOMAS, bringing you up to ?January or later before you submit Secondaries, I think you'd be significantly disadvantaged by then. If you were faced with applying that late, I'd say just wait until the May 2011 cycle begins.

What about retaking the Physics class at a local community college?

If you went ahead and applied with the C- standing, you might get interviews, but they'd probably be at less selective DO schools than you might have aspired to. What you should do might depend on your target institutions.

Dec 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd be able to retake the physics course at a CC, but wouldn't that raise a flag, isnt it "frowned" upon? Also would that count as grade replacement since it isnt at the same institution?

I agree fall would be way too late to apply, but would it benefit at all if I retook physics and submitted it to the schools?

Thank you for your reply btw

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Agreed. You can take a replacement class at any school, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. A few classes at a CC because it's cheaper or closer to home won't be frowned on. The proof that the course was sufficiently rigororous will be in your MCAT score.

Dec 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
good to know. Thanks guys. But what is the likeliness of an acceptance with a 2.8 sgpa, i know it is super slim, but is it possible? my top 5 are nycom, nsucom, touro-NY, pcom, and ccom. Dont be shy to be blatant, its not going to cause me to jump, although it may make me cry....lol

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2005
working on my tan......
Status
Resident [Any Field]
good to know. Thanks guys. But what is the likeliness of an acceptance with a 2.8 sgpa, i know it is super slim, but is it possible? my top 5 are nycom, nsucom, touro-NY, pcom, and ccom. Dont be shy to be blatant, its not going to cause me to jump, although it may make me cry....lol
not good...grade replace your GPA up

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
It's possible, but you have some of the most selective DO schools on your list. If you want to get an acceptance from them, why not wait the extra year and make a significant improvement in your numbers first? I know it's not what you want to hear, but realism is what you're asking us for.

Dec 6, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
The reality is I did this to myself. Thank you all very much for you help, you guys/girls really took the anxiety out and put it into perspective for me. I have one last question: if I were to apply to a school and got rejected, would my chances for acceptance be harmed next cycle when i reapply to the same schools?

Thank you again!