Acceptance from waitlist after May 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dedikated2liftn

Bodybuilder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may have already been asked somewhere, but I've yet to find it. Anyway, I was wondering what the rules are for someone if they hold an accpetance prior to the 15th of May and are then accepted from a waitlist after this date. Is the person obligated to go the the university where they received the accepatnce prior to the 15th (assuming he actually accepted and put down the deposit and reserved a spot)??

Members don't see this ad.

This may have already been asked somewhere, but I've yet to find it. Anyway, I was wondering what the rules are for someone if they hold an accpetance prior to the 15th of May and are then accepted from a waitlist after this date. Is the person obligated to go the the university where they received the accepatnce prior to the 15th (assuming he actually accepted and put down the deposit and reserved a spot)??

Generally, you're given 2 weeks (or less depending on how late in the season) to make your decision. You're not obligated to go to either school, but you do have to make a decision quickly.

Post-May 15, you may not get your deposit back, but that's all you're out if you don't go to the first school.

You are only allowed to hold one acceptance after May 15. If you are accepted from a waitlist after May 15, and prefer this school, then you simply withdraw the acceptance that you were holding,. You have the right to matriculate at the school that previously waitlisted you. Just do not hold multiple acceptances after May 15. So just send an email to the Dean of Admissions and withdraw from the school accepted you first. This happens all the time.