General Admissions & OTCAS Acceptance HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medinfoseeker23

Reaction score
I graduated from an Honours BSc in June and I am starting a MSc (research-based) in rehabilitation sciences for 24 months. My plan is to write the MCAT this summer, therefore, I can apply to med as soon as I finish Masters.

Few Questions:
1) How does a MSc help with med school admissions/applications?

2) I got into a MSc at McMaster University and at the University of Toronto... I can't decide which one to choose. They are the same program, however, at McMaster, the program is in the Faculty of Health Sciences and UofT it's in the Faculty of Medicine. My topic at Mac would be COPD and at UofT would be mental health and episodic disability. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1) I am not sure how it helps with admissions/ applications, but I can say it will make you have a unique approach to treating patients compared to your other colleagues. MSc can provide you with a holistic approach to treating patients. Often doctors only treat patients and therapists come in afterwards to help patients recover daily functions in life (i.e. walking, driving..). As a doctor with a background in rehabilitation sciences, you can provide a unique approach and consider all aspects of a patient's journey to recover. It is beyond the medicine and keeping the patients alive, but also how to maintain being healthy after the fact. (Just my perspective from my experiences haha might be different from others)

2) Hmmmm I think you should go with Faculty of Medicine if you plan to do Med. But to be fair, that can be just a title, since many med schools are in the health sciences. Unfortunately I do not know much about that.

Good luck with your journey! That sounds amazing. :)