acceptance into a medical school without the mcats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamdi riad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hii, everyone I had heard that there is a 4 year premed program at odu in norfolk, virginia and in the college of william and mary in williamsburg, after taking such a program a graduate maybe able to get accepted into EVMS without taking the MCATS. IS THIS TRUE???

please advice and I greatly appreciate your help:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it's TRUE!! These programs are called BS/MD programs...they are also available at UCSD, USC, UMKC, Rice, Rochester, etc...

I applied to these programs and were admitted into a lot of them. However, note that it is highly competitive to get into these programs. They expect very high high school GPA, SAT scores, lots of leadership experiences, and dedication to medicine and service through your activities. You CAN ONLY APPLY if YOU'RE a high school senior. I think most programs require a starting SAT of 1300s and a 4.2 GPA, but most who get interviews/admissions had in the 1500s and 4.5.

However, think about this....if you think the MCAT is hard and you're trying to avoid it.....i don't think it's a good idea. Remember, in medical school you have to take the boards, another standardized test. Good MCATs is a good indicator for good USMLEs.

I wouldn't worry too much about MCAT. Don't base your decision on it.

I have some friends at UMKC, and I was actually accepted there twice and didn't go (lol, long story), and I'm glad I didn't.

Maybe you're more mature than I was, but I don't see how I could have hung with that program. Unless you're exceptionally bright, I'm talking Doogie Howser and then some, you really do miss out on college that way.

Many of the people that I know there regret not having gone to college. True that you can save two years, but you're doing it all year round for six. Hard, hard.

The MCAT isn't the insurmountable task that people make it out to be. If you do well in college classes, you'll probably do well on the MCAT, unless you're a hard-core crammer; and even then yes, it is still possible to cram for the MCAT.

There are two medical schools in Ontario Canada that don't require the MCAT: University of Ottawa and McMaster University. I'm not sure about their policies regarding international students though

Members don't see this ad :)
Wake Forest also has an early acceptance program for college sophomores. You must have a 3.5 gpa or higher... this can be done for non-wake forsest students too! No MCAT required. I have a friend who got in this way (gpa 3.9).

....must be nice to get in w/o taking the mcat. I wish I would've known all of this a few years ago before coming to the U of A.

Corey.

Originally posted by PrincetonRocks
I think most programs require a starting SAT of 1300s and a 4.2 GPA, but most who get interviews/admissions had in the 1500s and 4.5.

Are you talking about GPA on a 5.0 scale? Because requiring an A+ GPA as a minimum standard is more than a little ridiculous!

Also: some of the SUNY schools have an early acceptance program that (IIRC) doesn't require the MCAT. I don't know much about it, but my understanding is that you just have to get accepted at the end of sophomore year and keep up your grades (and not get in trouble, etc.) until you graduate.

PianoGirl, PrincetonRocks I think was talking about highschool grades. Getting over a 4.0 wasn't too difficult if you took a lot of AP credit. I knew people who blew the 4.0 mark by a wide margin.

Originally posted by TTSD
PianoGirl, PrincetonRocks I think was talking about highschool grades. Getting over a 4.0 wasn't too difficult if you took a lot of AP credit. I knew people who blew the 4.0 mark by a wide margin.

Yeah, so did I (4.3 or so - and I barely made the top 10 in my class! Talk about grade inflation.)...but an A+++ GPA as a minimum requirement? That's harsh. It also doesn't seem to fit with the SAT requirements...you would think if they required that insane of a GPA, they would also require crazy high SAT scores. A 1300 is not really that difficult to get, especially for someone with over a 4.0 GPA. A 1300 and 3.2 (or 4.2 on a 5.0 scale) sound much more reasonable.

Um...exactly how many AP classes did you have to take to get a 4.3 (or a 4.5). That would mean that, over the life of your high school career (assuming straight A's), that 30-50% of your classes were AP. Now, I did go to high school over a decade ago, but I graduated with 6 AP classes (20 hours of credit), and it barely nicked my cumulative GPA. Are they allowing students to take every AP class around, or is this grade inflation (i.e. an overall 5 point scale). OUt of 40-50 high school classes, I cant imagine 20 of them being AP.

Hi! I'm a senior at William and Mary, and I was accepted to the BS/MD program between EVMS and W&M. I'm still in the decision process, although I think that I will ultimately decide to stick with EVMS. When I applied for the program, I was a second semester freshman. But, I have heard that they now do the application process the first semester of sophmore year. If you are accepted, you have to keep an overall B average at W&M and a 3.2 gpa in required courses, which is actually pretty low-stress. It also gives you the freedom to major in whatever you want. I even got to study abroad my junior year. And, you are still free to take the MCAT and apply to other schools. What could be better? As far as I know, some sort of medical experience is expected as well as good high school credentials (don't know if this has changed since the applications are later now). Hope that helps!

actually usc does require the mcat...but you need a 27 or higher to progress into the medical school phase...so, you need to get a minimum gpa and mcat score to move on

Originally posted by Idiopathic
Um...exactly how many AP classes did you have to take to get a 4.3 (or a 4.5). That would mean that, over the life of your high school career (assuming straight A's), that 30-50% of your classes were AP. Now, I did go to high school over a decade ago, but I graduated with 6 AP classes (20 hours of credit), and it barely nicked my cumulative GPA. Are they allowing students to take every AP class around, or is this grade inflation (i.e. an overall 5 point scale). OUt of 40-50 high school classes, I cant imagine 20 of them being AP.

Massive, massive grade inflation. At least that was the case at my school. 10% of the students graduated with above a 4.0. I only took 5 AP courses, although non-AP honors courses were also weighted. What made me incredibly angry about this was that people who got lower grades in some courses than I did actually ranked higher than me if they took a bunch of AP classes. I never got lower than an A in high school, yet I only ranked 9th in my class.

At my old college they had a "bridge" program in which you attended 3 years undergrad, then "jumped" to UHS in Kansas City and your first year there counted as dual credit for undergrad...so you got your Bachelor's after your first year of med school. I was asked to do the program but it kind of seemed to me that the only people who did it were people who were trying to avoid the MCAT. You had to keep a 3.5 and I figured if I was going for a 3.5 I might as well not box myself into one school. Also UHS isn't really the best school out there, and I really hated the idea of cramming all my pre-reqs and gen-ed into 3 years...but hey, a lot of people were really happy with the program, so to each his own!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Alcon
I took 11 AP's and didn't even make the top 50.

Go figure.

Wow. A school that has even more inflated grades than my high school. Didn't think that was possible, but I feel for ya!+pity+

You could get into med school if you wanted to go the podiatry route :) That's what I was doing, but I dropped out.

On a side note, I had 26 in my class.....imagine how tough it was for me to be in the top 10%. They just don't make those .6ths of a person any more ;)

Originally posted by Alcon
I took 11 AP's and didn't even make the top 50.

Go figure.

Wow. You must have gone to a very competitive high school. I thought with my high school being ranked in the top ten in the nation it was quite competitive, but i'm quite mistaken. I had straight A's all throughout high school with 10 AP courses (Government was only a semester...so technically 9.5 AP courses). I graduated as the Class Valedictorian and Student of the Year with a cumulative GPA of 4.76.

11 AP's and not in the top 50...wow! Is your high school ranked in the top 5 in the nation?

As for SATs, the minimum requirement for the so-called "BS/MD" program is 1300...you need this score to apply, not to actually make it to medical school. Gaining admissions to a BS/MD program is probably more competitive since most schools do not accept more than 10 students (with the exception of USC-32; UMKC-10 out of state and 90 in state; Northwestern-25; Brown-90)

Try getting a 1300 and a 4.5...see if you can get into a BS/MD program. The average GPA/SAT score at USC last year was 1460 and 4.5 i believe and USC is not exactly the most competitive program out there. Brown had an average of 1420 and 4.3. You also have to realize that these high school students are amazing in terms of their extracurricular/leadership experiences. My Class Salutarian had to go to Harvard because she was not admitted into a combined BS/MD program at Northwestern, USC, or UCSD...oh and she had a 1600 on her SAT.

I graduated HS with 10 APs, and probably another 10 honors or so... all As, 4.8 weighted GPA, and only ranked 22.

Originally posted by PianoGirl04
Wow. A school that has even more inflated grades than my high school. Didn't think that was possible, but I feel for ya!+pity+

Well, it's not necessarily grade inflation at ALL high schools. Schools like Stuyvesant in NYC and Thomas Jefferson in NoVA routinely have the majority of their class graduating with seemingly super-inflated GPAs. It's because the quality of the student that goes to these elite magnet schools is light-years beyond that at a regular high school where A's are a cakewalk. Their classes are tough!... there's a good reason that the vast majority of their graduates attend Top 25 tier 1 universities. There's hard work behind that GPA. :)

deez

Originally posted by vixey1230
I graduated HS with 10 APs, and probably another 10 honors or so... all As, 4.8 weighted GPA, and only ranked 22.

Bringing this back from the dead...

How can someone get such a high GPA? I thought most high schools only allow honors/AP classes to be figured into your GPA Junior and Senior year only. If that's the case, and you take an equal amount of AP/honors classes as you did Freshmen and Sophomore years (which is usually unlikely since you cut back your Senior year), then you'd get a 4.5 GPA. Can you explain this? My best friend got a 4.5 GPA and even got into Princeton. Ranked #1 out of his class of 800+ students.

How in the world do you get a 4.8 GPA?

Repeat after me...slowly....

NO...ONE..CARES...WHAT...YOUR...HIGH....SCHOOL...GPA.....WAS....ANY...MORE.

:cool:

It's time to let it go now. :D :D :D You know, so we can obsess over whether a 31 or a 32 is the MCAT cutoff for a particular school.

Originally posted by HawkeyeBFP
Repeat after me...slowly....

NO...ONE..CARES...WHAT...YOUR...HIGH....SCHOOL...GPA.....WAS....ANY...MORE.

:cool:

It's time to let it go now. :D :D :D You know, so we can obsess over whether a 31 or a 32 is the MCAT cutoff for a particular school.

LOL, thank you!!!